Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

I Guess I'm Lucky
By JP

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I feel lucky after reading all the negative reviews. With 140K miles, we are rolling along pretty problem free. I anticipated worse even when I bought it. We have pulled trailers well over 10,000 miles of its life and the transmission is still intact. I liked most everything about the van and just hoped it would be reliable. It has been. Poor sounding sound system. Some minor electrical issues. The trailer wiring system was a pain.

Rear sensors, reading lights, smooth ride, roomy, & good lumbar support!

Trailer wiring system. Better sound system, better electrical contacts at sliding doors, seats that fold into floor, horn that is easier to operate.

Ford Windstar 1999
By L. F. Swails

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Following are problems experienced beginning with vehicle at 2 or 3 years old: Yellow engine light -- no problem shows on computer check. Mechanic turns off, 1 to 6 months later same thing. At 97,000 miles air intake valve replaced, starter synchronizer replaced, passenger window motor repaired 70,000 miles + or - replace transmission (stranded 4 days 500+ miles from home). In Ford shop two times under warranty for front end problem; 3rd time same symptom, just out of warranty. Ford shop said not same symptom so took van to private shop for repair.

Power driver seat passenger seat comfort center console dc adapter in back of van.

Drink holders; seats that fold into floor; cell phone holder; transmission to last at least 130,000 or more miles when driven normally.

Last Ford Van
By mark in cincinnati

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I had no reason not to purchase a Ford with five relatives working for the company. Until my van turned 36k only regular maintenance & recalls were required. Since then: 3 transmissions, antilock brakes, heater core. Luckily I had a great service adviser that allowed me to purchase the extended warranty. So my cost for the transmissions was limited to $700. Factory trained/certified mechanics failed to bolt one of the brackets on the second rebuild requiring the third repair 8K miles later.

Dual sliding doors, great storage.

Overhead sunglass and garage door opener compartment always rattle.

DON'T BUY A FORD!
By WINDSTAR no more

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

This is not a family vehicle when the transmission goes out during a blizzard in the middle of nowhere. We have replaced the rack & pinion steering, 4 oxygen sensors, valve cover, max air intake, all door locks and transmission. It took the transmission shop 6 months to repair right because Ford sent them faulty parts. The battery keeps going dead because door switches don't work right. I need to get rid of this van before something else goes wrong. I just feel bad for who ever gets it. When we contacted Ford, they blew us off. My wife HATES everything about this van! I laugh to think that Ford redesigned the van and now call it a Freestar. Will the new name really make them better?

It's hard to remember what I originally liked about this van.

Replace everything about it except the valve stem caps.

Best van for the money
By Brolis

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I own a 1999 Windstar SEL which I bought used. The van is fantastic. Very comfy for short and long haul driving. Am getting 22 mpg on the highway which is great, but it drops to 17 city driving. This is a very solid, well built van which I like much better than the 1999 counterparts. It is long wheelbase but very easy to park. The dual a/c is fantastic and ice cold. Just oil change every 6 months along with regular service and it keeps running great. Now approaching 80k and knock on wood, no problems. Highly recommend this wonderful minivan.

Excellent ride and very quiet. Good mpg. Ice cold dual a/c. Tons of room for people and cargo, better than a pickup where all the cargo gets wet if it rains. Very comfy seats for all. Super radio too.

For an American minivan this one is up there with the best.