Used 1999 Ford Windstar SE Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

It's good on the inside
By Nate1tate

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this van because we had a second kid on the way. It was fine for family trips and such at first, but the alternator went with under 60K miles. Had major engine problem that required installation of a special valve and head gasket. Trouble with power sliding doors staying on track. Had tranny gasket leak, speed sensors, etc. After reading these reviews I'm worried about the steering and tranny now. Buying used we got an upgraded interior. That's the best part of the whole van. I'm not totally unhappy with it, just tired of spending money on it. Trade value is miserable and makes me want to hold on to a vehicle that will likely cost much more before I can afford another car.

Sound system, rear controls for radio and air, sliding doors.

Ford needs to make their engine components more sound. Mechanics recommended I not get this when I asked their advice. The crash test results sold us, but that's not enough to get me to buy anything else from them again. Listen to customer complaints, all of us can't possibly be wrong.

My Ford Nightmare
By Ron Melancon

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a new 1999 Windstar and thank goodness I got the extended warranty. Because after 36,000 miles, every five months something has gone wrong. It has cost the warranty company over $18,000 dollars to date. It is so bad they did not offer to extend my coverage. Now the van has only 80,000 miles on it and my wife wants to get rid of it. Why in the world would anybody produce a car and have it break down so often? Here is some of what happened: 38,000 replaced transmission 42,000 replaced full rack and pinion steering 48,000 new head gasket 52,000 new left ball joint and strut, also checked weird thump on the driver side, did not find anything 58,000 new cold start valve.

Just a lot of problems.

Don’t build anymore minivans.

FIX OR REPAIR DAILY (FORD)
By maryann

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I thought I was getting something that would be comfortable for my family and I BUT... This vehicle has been nothing but TROUBLE. After buying the vehicle I had to replace the speedometer that cost me $1700. Oh and that was only after I bought the car and owned it for 3 months. Ok, so a year goes by and guess where my car is at the dealership once again with a problem they don't know! I can no longer tell how fast I am going because that don't work and how many miles my vehicle has. Oh and the ABS light is on and the air conditioning is no longer working. Check engine light on and they say it is an O2 sensor Ford Motor has had lots of complaints and won't recall it

Enough seats for my family.

FIX THE PROBLEMS! Now I know why they are going out of business.

Transmission Turmoil
By Bad Transmission 87K

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I bought a '99 Windstar second hand. At 87,000 miles the transmission was replaced. Ford quoted me $2500. They ended up paying $700 of that due to my complaining. It is still jerking and snatching and I am too tired to take it back to the shop. As long as it gets me where I need to go, I will deal with it. Overall, I'm disappointed! I'm looking for a vehicle that is TOUGH and BUILT LIKE A ROCK! It was a roomy ride and my kids loved it, however, I'm, ready to give this minivan the boot. Not to mention that the check engine light stayed on and no one could figure out how to get it to go off.

The spacious seating and captains chairs are definitely a plus.

Improve the transmissions, not to mention my "Check engine light" stays on and the dealership could not figure out how to get it off. It has remained on for at least 5 years! Talk about a bummer when some asks "Why is your check engine light on?"

Unreliable
By dsp

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought off lease with 15,000 miles, ran fine until warranty ran out. Around 60,000 miles had constant check engine lights. Would replace one sensor and then the following week it would be another one. Power steering rack started going out and traded it for a Toyota Sienna. I hate to admit but I will never again buy another Ford product.

Go to Japan and learn how to build quality vehicles that hold up after the warranty expires.