Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Solid, Dependable, Efficient
By CarolynDan

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

As I get ready to pass along this, my second Windstar, I want to relate how very pleased I have been with this minivan. Through 200,000+ miles it has performed like a champ, very dependable, very easy to drive, very much the family car. Like other Fords of its ilk, the transmission was shot at about 140,000, but the rebuilt is doing fine. The only other major mechanical problem was replacing the steering rack at about 165,000. The engine is well sized, giving a lot of power and zip while at the same time consistently delivering 20+ mpg on evenly mixed city/highway driving.

The design of the middle and bench seats is great and it is easy for one adult to remove or install them. Drives very much like a car, and if a mini-van can be fun to drive, this one is it. We took a 6,000 mile "American West Vacation Tour" with four adults and two teens and all had a great time.

Ours doesn't have the optional driver's side (fourth) sliding door or a roof rack - both would be very welcome. The lifters on the hatch door could be stronger - as they age, I have clunked my head a couple of times when they fail to fully life the door.

At what point should I scrap it?
By C Horton

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this from German friends who were returning back home. They kept detailed records and had every service done and every repair done imaginable. I figured we should have a good run. We bought it with 80k miles. After 2 1/2 years, with only 98k miles I've had to repace the transmission. The door locks never quite work and the check engine light goes on every and ever trip to the dealer/service station costs at least $600 to fix it. I'm crossing my fingers to get six more months out of it as the inspection comes up at that time. I'm fed up with all of the maintance costs for this poorly designed vehicle. Ford dealerships love all of the high margin work they get from this car.

Sliding doors Interior room

Quality and reliablity are key and this is a major turn off where I will not consider buying a Ford in the future unless someone else pays for it and it's repairs!

Do not buy
By Terry

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

Bought van 5 years ago with around 50000 mi. 77000 on van now. Started while under warranty with check engine light had intake gaskets replaced and after warranty out same problem. Replaced o2 sensors and still have intake manifold leaks. Tranny out now. Suprised ford not richer with what they are selling. No help for the working guy. I also had door switch replaced at my cost. Good luck if you have one. Still debating on fixing tranny maybe I should get out while the getting is good

Interior is nice

1. Transmission 2. Intake manifold If anyone from ford reads this just make good on something you know is wrong

Ford Let Us Down.
By Martha

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

I love the body of this minivan. It is comfortable and has plenty of room! It is a great car to drive. Now that said mechanically it stinks. Ford knows all about this vehicles problems, O ring failure, transmission failure, O2 sensors failure, door sensor failure, driver side door lock failure and on and on. If we knew then what we know now we would never have bought this car. Fortunately we bought it used and still have not spent up to the new price. We put over $5,000 in repairs into this car over 6 years. I will think twice before I risk another Ford purchase.

Front seats are comfortable. Plenty of space in the back. Seats are removeable. The larger bench back seat can be moved to the front seat position to give more storage in the back. Best designed front cup holders of any car I've ridden in. The auto-adjust side view mirrors are great.

Transmission

Poor quality and poor company
By Brad

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This car is a good idea but poor execution. Transmission failed at 90k and is a known problem with this van. The check engine light comes on because of clogged EGR circiut . A/C blend louvers break, known problem. The worst thing is that you may have to get these fixed over and over again.

Good power and lots of room

Engine, transmission, and some electric components need to be redesigned.