Used 1999 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Beware! Faulty Transmission!
By Lisa Brannon

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

I've learned my lesson: DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If I had researched the Ford Windstar more thoroughly, I would have known about its history of transmission system failure due to poor design. Ford could not be more apathetic. I've read numerous tales of enraged consumers who have appealed to Ford only to have Ford Customer Service reps turn a deaf ear. My '99 Windstar is curently no more than a lawn ornament. I can't afford to put a THIRD transmission in it. (Yes, I did say the transmission has already been replaced once, at 43,000 miles. It just conked out at 74,000 miles.) DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Not Without an Extended Warranty!
By Joyce K.

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Even with my low mileage it still has needed several major repairs. Thank goodness for the extended warranty! Never Ford Again!

Very comfortable seats.

Improve quality!

terrible quality
By mark

1999 Ford Windstar SEL 4dr Minivan

Bought this ¬Ď99 Windstar new; took it into the dealer at 1,500 miles for an oil change, and it came back with a new transmission (under warranty). Need I say more. Terrible quality. In most other ways, an average boxy minivan.

Wide-view mirror to keep an eye on kids in the back seat.

Improve quality dramatically. Test remote sliding door design before putting it on market.

Piece of junk!
By calfano

1999 Ford Windstar SE 4dr Minivan

We bought this as a 1 year old car. Got extended warrenty through 7/04. Three weeks later transmission went at 68,000 miles. Is in shop as we speak for the A/C problem. Constant alignment issues. Front end replaced. Back windows don't work. My dealership did pay for half of the transmission, but I was still out $1,200. My husband and I will NEVER own, drive or even ride in another Ford again. I don't care what kind it is. I have spent more than this is even worth! Ford, wake up and smell the coffee. Renaming it a "Freestar" doesn't fool anyone. The car is a piece of junk!

Mirror to see the kids in the back seat (not the rear view mirror).

EVERYTHING. Here's one, why doesn't Ford try to make its customers happy with decent running vehicles.

Nomorefords
By Nofordnomore

1999 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

I have owned two Windstars; '95 & '97. Bought the '95 used. Engine blew. Bought a new '99 LX with 4 doors. Justification was the '99 was "redesigned". I learned "redesigned" does not mean "improved" it just means different. All of the same problems everyone else has had.The pinging started at mile 1 off the dealer lot. Blamed many times on bad gas in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Finally with 74K they replaced intake manifold - on my nickel. What a difference! First time it ran right. Now the tranny problems begin. At 94K traded for used Tahoe.

The room, styling and good ride. The good things only amount to about 1/100th of the joy of ownership when compared to all of the bad stuff.

Stick with building F-150's. I can't complain about the one I still own that is 15 years old.