Used 1995 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Windstar

View reviews for a specific Windstar model:

Love the size of this van
By DORIS WhITFIELD

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

Of course you'll excited when you get a new car, but it was short lived, because the recall notices started coming. I think I actually took my car, about four or five different times. The last time i took it, they kept my car to long, causing me A big inconvenience. I loved the space of my car, and the fact that I could carry 9 to 12 passengers. Unfortunately at this time my car has so many problems, the thermostat with the running hot is a big problem.

As I've stated I love the space and the size, of the internal cabin, and the removal of the sits to carry large objects.

Would love to have a CD player, with MP3 capability and a fourth door.

Good until too many miles
By Finally gone

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We bought the car used with 26K on it ans will give to charity with 180K. Overall we were pleased to have it for 11 years but wish we could have had a couple more years. Had to replace the head gasket, electrical system poor at the end causing battery to go down. Overall gone on many vacations etc with good room for 7 people. Not sure about transmission at this point, will be good for parts for someone. We fared better than others, and did not pay top dollar after first year from a dealer when it was a "program car" the first year.

Size, comfort, rides high on the road and smooth.

Electrical problems, transmission, front brakes and problems with the front steering mechanism.

Waste of time and Money
By Brandon R

1995 Ford Windstar GL 3dr Minivan

I bought this car new. It had 3 transmissions, headgasket, a wheel bearing, check engine light problems, ABS light problems,and those are just the big ones before 60,000 miles. When I took it too the junk yard at 130,000 miles the cruise control didn't work, the inside lights stayed on and it chimed, the back wiper didn't work, the transmission was going out again, the check engine light never went off(which the dealer never had an explanation for), and it was VERY well cared for. I have never had anywhere near this many problems with any car and this will be the first and last ford I ever buy.

Decent power. A lot of room. Comfortable ride when newer. Cold A/C and good heater.

Reliability, quality, dealer service,better handling(I know it's a minivan), and not a ford.

A Piece of Garbage
By Stenodactylus

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

This is a totally unreliable, poorly built junk mobile and money pit. Ford built the engine out of two different metals that wear at different rates. As a result, it blows head gaskets every couple of years. They did not oficially recall it, but they had a "campaign" where they would repair it at no cost if you happened to bring it to a Ford Dealership. The first time the head gasket blue, it had my family stranded in a bad part of Los Angeles, about 600 miles from home. We had to tow it back and get a rental car to continue on. Since then, we've known its unreliable and haven't risked taking it very far.

Its comfortable. But, its had 4 blown headgaskets, broken all engine mounts numerous times, cupholders broke, windows have all broken, air conditioning gone out, had problems with the fuel tank, door ajar went off constantly and had to be fixd, and this car has been towed more times than I can count

The cassette player was about the only thing that never broke. It lived for 148,00 miles but at a high costs of ownership; it was donated to charity since the repair costs outwighed its value (4th blown headgasket and 3k repair. Build something that isn't junk. I will NEVER buy another Ford product

Lemon? Maybe?
By Trent

1995 Ford Windstar LX 3dr Minivan

We have owned our 95 Ford Windstar since it was new. We had one blown headgasket replaced under the recall. A second blown head gasket cost us $1,600.00 (not covered under recall). Transmission slipping for the last year (holding our breath). Radio problems, alternator, door ajar lights wont go off (dead battery frustration). Sliding door fell off several times (was told a defect but Ford won't cover it). Leaking water pump, (very expensive labor). Third head gasket just blew ... (forget it...I just put some head gasket sealant in it and it seams to have fixed that problem). The clogged catalytic converter ended up melting our wiring harness (long story); numerous other small things.

With all of our complaints you would think that we are bitter and hate our Windstar ... not exactly. It is one of the most comfortable, attractive interiors that I have seen. Smooth ride, powerful 3.8L motor. Fits my 6ft.1" body well. It appears that Ford just rushed it to market a little too soon.

Better head gasket, add another side door, fix the sliding door falling off problem, fix the door open interior lights problem or hand out free batteries.:) Maybe a little more tech support on problems and what causes them (a communication thing?). Stronger transmission to handle the weight & torque?