Used 2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Consumer Reviews - 155 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Could Not Help Myself
By corkyf

2004 Ford Thunderbird Convertible Premium 2dr Convertible w/Removable Hard Top (3.9L 8cyl 5A)

A neighbor of my announced Friday that he wanted to sell his 2004 Pacific Coast Roadster T-bird with 16,300 miles. Monday I owned a T-bird. I drove it yesterday on a 350 mile trip and am very impressed with the car. It has less wind noise than any other convertible I've owned. It cruises on the highway great and has super 60 to 80 passing power on two lane roads. The seats are comfortable and the radio/cd player sounds good. The top is a breeze to put up and down. Mine has the original tires and they ride great. This car makes a super adult roadster. It rides great and has very nice retro styling. Baby Boomers can't do better. I think buying one now is a great investment.

More Power than expected. Quieter than expected...both with top up and down. Transmission is smooth. soft top fabric is better than expected. Radio sounds great & seats are comfortable. Heated seats work great. Good leg room width. Classic looks. Porthole hardtop looks nice.

The pacific coast roadster has synthetic suede inserts in the seats instead of full leather. They look great now, but I don't think they will wear as well as full leather over the next 20 years. Otherwise it's perfect!

Perfect - well almost
By UncleTurbo

After a deer motorcycle accident I bought my T'bird for the top down experience and sold the motorcycles. While not as fast as my previous sport bike, the T'bird does rip. If you let it rev it will pull like a maniac and is plenty fast. It also corners surprising well, nice and flat and very predictable. Perhaps not a track car, but definitely fun in the mountains. Very quiet ride with the top down, smooth ride on the highway. Just very nice car to drive. Not a big trunk but big enough for weekend bags or picnic stuff. The space behind the seats is a handy space for the dog, or a bag, or a cooler. What keeps it from perfect is bad ignition coils. Bought used at 24K miles, 54K now.

Great looks, great feel on the road, strong power, easy up and down action of the top. Nothing better to drive on a nice day.

COPS, coil on plug ignition coils is a weakness in design. They run hot and break down after about 30 to 40K miles. Ford has extended warranty coverage for 10 years and 100K miles on COPS but it is a pain when one dies, the motor runs rough until it is fixed. Taints an otherwise super duper car.

Love my Bird !
By Angie

My son wrecked what I thought was to be my last car-- a 2004 Mercedes c230 coupe that I dearly loved ! Searching the net for a replacement I came across a 2004 T-Bird at a "give away" price.Took a look and I was hooked !! I'm a 71 year old woman, alone now, but when I drive my T-Bird, top down & Elvis playing, oh boy, the joy and the memories !! It doesn't get the 36mpg of the Mercedes- but is a gas saver anyway- can't fit the family so I get chauffeured around a lot ! I haven't regretted buying this car for one second-the stand out design in today's world predominated with S.U.V.s and hybrids brings a big smile to my face whenever I look at it ! It's a beauty !

The medium blue metallic paint with matching tops is perfect for Florida. The stereo system rocks ! The comfortable 2 tone seats,and the ease of entry & exit. The "magic" moving steering wheel.I would like a compass- but Mercedes didn't provide one either- not too expensive to buy one.

No sense suggesting- they are out of production. A good thing for those of us who prefer a more unique head turner for a ride !!

Faulty Rims
By Robin

I too have had major problems with the tires leaking air. Dealer said there was no problem. Tire company says, and this was after 2 new tires had to be purchased prematurely....PROBLEM is the RIMS are faulty at the factory. I have had problems with 2 wheel...and now starting with my THIRD.

Stand behind this and recall the wheels FORD!

Things can go wrong
By Linda

My T-bird has had 6 engine coils replaced in less then 52,00 miles. The radio/CD player replaced 4 times. The engine thermostat replaced along with fan assembly. The hard top leaks and ford refuses to fix. It is normal to have some leakage. The brakes replaced 4 times. No I am not hard on brakes. The driver side rear quarter panel no longer lays flat with rest of body surface. The car stopped dead on the 15 freeway coming from Vegas in the fast lane without warning. The black paint faded in spots. The soft top frays in two areas. The T-bird fun to drive. But very expensive and does not provide the quality expected from Ford. Or does it?

Replacement insurance or warranty extended. Recall of car for common complaints by current owners.