Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (53 reviews )

Nothing Like It
By lastbird97

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it off the lot fully loaded in 1997 on a whim and still loving it 13 years later. The V8, Traction assist, 16' wheels, antilock brakes and suspension make all the difference on this model. Detailing, Regular maintenance and keeping up with service bulletins has kept it in near showroom condition. The leather Interior, Sunroof, CD Player and temperature control system makes it as comfortable as my Limited Grand Cherokee. The styling still feels contemporary and the spoiler on the rear deck adds a nice touch to the cars shape.

There's a reason why they put this engine in police cars....... High mileage hasn't affected it's performance at all.

Put the best High speed rated tires on this car, fill it with 93 octane, find a nice open road and enjoy the ride.

3 TIMES A CHARM
By MIASTYLE/MIAYAYO

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

this is my 3rd T-Bird, 93,96 now a 97, i have literally taking this car around the country and back. i keep up with the oil, tires, sparkplugs, suspension, oil again b.c that's the best thing you can do, i just recently changed my manifold, break booster, starter, belts, bearings in the differential. i want this car to last another 5 years, currently i am at 140k mi, as long as you stay up on the maintenance @ ALL TIMES, you will be good to go, hiway gas mi is great, city mi is terrible, not to mention a lot of the work can be done urself if you have the time and tools, this car is great for a young whipper snapper looking for there 1st car, my nex project is to maybe paint it,

its a low key car, not to fancy and with its year, doesn't really seem outdated, it has that low profile mean look when you have wide tires on it, you can trick it out as well, music, no higher than 21" rims, hi beam lites, etc, it all works or you can keep it original.

better suspension and gas mileage

The Beast
By MikePineapple

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Thunderbird now for almost 8 years. Actually bought it off a brother in law in need of some quick cash. Has been used as a daily driver to and from work now ever since. Now keep in mind I don't really keep up with this car, it's just pretty much get up and go. I've taken it on long trips to several towns and could honestly say I've only changed the oil on it about twice since I've owned it. It rattles(suspension) and drinks gasoline like a beast but I've grown very fond of this car. This year was actually planning on selling it but instead have decided to give it some TLC and repaint the car. This car doesn't ask for a thing, and even if it did. I'd bet it'd keep going till it exploded.

Powerful, reliable, great passing power. Future collectors item with the V8 engine.

The interior looks cheap. Needs more meat on the tires. Undersized wheels I think.

Solid
By dntwry

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it new in 97, It was originally mine, and I have given it to my son. We both agree on what will be said right now. For 22k it's a great car. The engine could have been put together a little better, easier to get to parts. We had to replace the heater core, and it was a royal pain to get to. Also for it being a RWD V8, you would think you could go a little faster. Smooth ride, classy car, powerful, and great moon roof. Gas mileage could be a little better. It's around 17-18 MPG.

RWD power, moon roof, upgraded speed rated tires, leather seats.

Better gas mileage, higher speed governor, heater core easier to get to.

God I Miss This Car
By Dr. Brett Schmitz

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2000 before I went off to college. It had 107,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Drove it back and forth 90 miles each way for 5 years of college. Awesome fuel mileage (just a tick under 30mpg) the entire time I owned it. Handled excellent and in the 6 years and 60,000 miles that I owned it I had to replace a mass airflow sensor, tires, and a ball joint. This car was phoenomenally reliable and fun to drive! My only gripe with the car the entire time I owned it was that the driverside window never like to roll up properly and eventually came out of the track. I wish I still owned this car but I unfortunately sold it to my neice and she crashed it 3 days later:

Fuel mileage, suspension, price, reliability, quality, comfort of the seats, and of course turning radius! There are really too many positives about this car to list.

Well unfortunately Ford no longer produces the 2 door awesome version of this car, but if they did(which is one of the suggestions), I would have to say fix the window issues and please make a CD player and sunroof standard on every one you make. Oh yeah and heated seats. Otherwise my best car ever!