Used 2006 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great car
By k. d. palmateer

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Taurus in 2010 in Oklahoma city with 63,000 miles on it. I had no records to tell me how the previous driver drove it. the 1st thing I did was change the oil and tranny fluid and replace the filters. I now have 175,000 miles on it and except for the battery, oil changes, tires and brakes i have made no repairs to the car. my Taurus has gone back and forth from NY to Oklahoma 4 times and to Oklahoma, L.A. and back to NY. it is the 6th Taurus I have owned and the previous one a 2000 Taurus had 517,000 miles on it when the salt of NY killed it in 2010. that Taurus had 3 sets of struts replaced, multiple tie rods, ball joints, bearings replaced and 3 gas tanks. if not for the salt i would still be driving it.

Cheapest of the Cheap
By Steve

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My son got this as his first car in September 2015. Single middle-aged female owned since it was new. In those 10 years, she put about 70,000 miles on it. The car came with records, among them touting a semi-recent (3 years prior) exhaust overhaul and shortly thereafter (1½ years prior), a new alternator. Oil changes done on time with a major mechanic in the area. If anything seemed like if was going, she had it replaced immediately. It was a good deal on a not-terribly-old car with low mileage.

The car was fine until February 2016, when it attempted to self destruct. In one month's time I had to have it towed two hours from home (at a cost of $500) and then replace the intake manifold, a catalytic converter and the alternator. This was all within a 50 mile period. No joke. The car was at the mechanic's for 3 weeks. The alternator died 2 towns away, so it limped to a garage in that area, who had it for another 3 days. In 3 weeks, I invested nearly $2000 into this car, a car that had only 85,000 miles on it and had a full set of records. I was in shock and meager savings account depleted rapidly.

Just getting into the car feels like going back to the 1990s. The instrumentation seems so antiquated. The interior feels shoddy. My wife drives a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica -- it's the same year. It feels like it's a full decade ahead in terms of updates. Ford really let this brand die hard. It wasn't competitive with anything released that year. There's no way. It's a full size car that feels incredibly cheap. The interior door panels must have been attached with silly putty, because the panels are literally falling apart -- even on the passenger side, which had seen very little use in it's first decade. But, the car was a good price and I don't care if my kid gets a "Mercedes-feel" out of his first car. But it's surprising that what had once been the top car in America (I actually had a 1993 Taurus when my son was born in 1997), got left so far behind. There's not much difference between that 1993 and the 2006. It drives the same, like it has the same 3.0 engine (and it probably does), the interior feels very familiar. It's just a few body panels got swapped out. Talk about letting your iconic brand go stale.

Right now, the car has been stable since the issues last month. However, it has thrown a light on the dash for the airbag. I don't even want to get into that, so we're taking care of it later when the car needs to be inspected and the kid can save a little more money from his after-school gig at a pizzeria. Plus, he's got $1400 to pay me back first (he had $600 available initially).

I couldn't be happier.
By greg_wv

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I needed a work car in a hurry after the previous one was totalled due to a deer collision. I've had this little gem for over 2 years now and I have to say it's the best work car I've ever had. Recently I decided to make a lifetime commitment to it, so replaced all 4 struts, plugs, wires, coil packs, front brakes and rotors. It needed a new A/C compressor and I gave it 4 Michelin defender tires. This baby rides like a brand new car! The mechanic told me "you realize you're putting 90,000 mile tires on this thing". I said yep, she's only got 105,000 miles on her and I'm in it 'till death do us part. That's how confident I am in this vehicle. I can see why Ford sold millions of these!

Comfort, roominess, the ability to have 4 passengers if needed. After all the work I've done on it, I am getting around 30 mpg on long trips. I am confident this car will last me another 100K miles.

A bit more adjustment to the seat on the SE model would be nice. I'd like to be able to raise the front of the seat a bit.

NEVER AGAIN!
By mindy15

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but a pile or crap. Bought it from a dealer with 49000 miles. Have had to replace the master cylinder for the breaks (3 mo. after owning it), transmission (5 mo after owning it), altnator (4 Mo after owing it).
Was previously a business owned car should have been decent. Theres contantly something wrong with it and it leaves me stranded. The horsepower is crap compared to the 4 cylinder car I had previous. No Power! Don't hold its retail value. The only thing good about it was the price but, I need a vehical fast as my other was totaled in an accident. Never again!

The power locks, windows.

Needs a better sound system. More horse power and more reliablity.

Ford does it again
By ericgdenver

2006 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

'06 was a good year for the Taurus. Bought mine with 24K four years ago from a Dealership. I am at 118K now. It has received all the scheduled Maintenance services, including synthetic oil and Motorcraft filters. Typical brake/fluids/tire replacement. Just put on a new set of tires with alignment and had the AC serviced. The car performs as good as the day I bought it. The ride is still comfortable and the handling is tight and responsive. Great in the snow. No leaks of any kind that I know of. Edmunds has the TMV at $7,697.00, which I would agree with.
It has been a very reliable car that has held its value. I plan on driving it to at least 150K. An excellent production year for Ford.