Used 2005 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

If you love your family DO NOT BUY
By Caligula's Ghost

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I start? First the A/C went out, then the original tires wore within the first year. I had to replace the battery twice. Alternator was replaced twice. Transmission went out at 40K. Air intake manifold needed to be replaced. Brakes wore earlier. Until the day I last had it there was an issue with the lights flickering (dealer said the alternator/battery were fine). The car made a terrible whirring noise. RPM gauge always fluctuated. I still have nightmares about that car. I spent 5K in one 6 month period to keep it running. Please STAY AWAY from this car!

None, this car is garbage.

Scrap the entire Taurus line and move on.

this is a horrible car
By lou

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car in 2005 at time had 22,000 on it. At 61,000 the transmission went out on it to the cost of $2,000. The mpg is horrible. I got oil changed every 3,000 and took good care of this car. it is the worst thing i have ever owned.

um none

everything

Best used car I've ever owned
By photowiz

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2005 Taurus SE as a one owner used car with 60,000 miles. It has been driven daily and now has 122,000 in less than 2 years. It performs beautifully and has yet to let me down. I'm getting average 27 mpg and approaches 30 on the highway!. I switched to full synthetic oil when I bought it and use injector cleaner gas additive regularly. Engine power band is smooth and low end torque is impressive for a 3.0 liter engine. I live in a fairly mountainous area and the only thing that annoys me is the drain in power when running the AC on hot days. Fuel mileage drops about 2.5 mpg, which is more than my other vehicles. All in all I'm going to drive the wheels of this one. Great car.

Ride, comfort and layout of interior and cockpit instruments. Very roomy back seating and trunk. Fuel economy is great for a V6. Oil filter location makes it easy to change the oil yourself. Console between front seats is a really good design.

AC saps power and torque on hot days. One more DC power outlet would be useful.

Nice car if had better engine and trans
By taurusowner30

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased with only 2- 3000 miles on it. At 1st it ran great with little to no problems. As soon as it hit the limit of the warranty then the problems started. 1st it was little things. Then the transmission went out. Now I am about to replace the transmission again for the 3rd time. This car would be an excellent car if it would have been built better. Ford needs to be ashamed of itself for building such a good looking car and such a bad engine. No wonder American cars have fallen so far behind foreign cars.

Exterior design is timeless

Engine and Transmission

Exceeds Expectations
By mppppm

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used three years ago with 22,000 miles. Now has 96K + and I've had no problems at all. It averages 27 mpg highway. I haven't even done routine maintenance - just regular oil changes, a new battery and plugs ... and it keeps on going. I love this car!

Reliability. Stable in all kinds of weather. Comfortable seating front and back.

Maybe less wind noise. Sound system could be better.