Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

great car
By mkrawczyk

owned this car 5 year bought with 8k miles
now 68k never let me down i only put brakes and a battery in this car it runs great and still looks good anther great ford

Watch out for the coolant and radiator
By kazkiev

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My first car and I really enjoyed it for 2yrs, bought it with 43k, the head gasket blew at 99k, Ford has a reputation for overheating, the components of the car are cheaply made which is why they are cheap at the junk yards. Very smooth ride, quite good on gas for a V6, sporty handling. I would buy it with low miles and drive it lightly, after it reaches, 100k, get rid of it

Beware Ford Tauruses--Transmission issues!
By meh123

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus, currently in the shop with transmission out. I have also owned a 1996 Ford Taurus which had to have the transmission replaced twice. The 2005 also had a transmission issue that cost 1,000 to replace. I will have to buy a new car because this transmission will cost 4,400. I will never buy another automatic Ford again. Only plus is that it has a VERY sturdy build and is comfortable to drive.

Car lasted me long enough
By a24dude

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Ford Taurus in 2007 used with 60,000 (got a good deal on it). No issues within the first year of having the car then the bottom fell out. Every year for the last 3 years I have had to completely replace all 4 tires (and I rotated them at each oil change at 3,000). Have had to replace the brakes on the car twice in the time I have had it. Along with other regular repairs. Now a couple of days ago, the car will start jerking while accelerating up to around 40 - 45 MPH, and it will also jerk really bad while backing up. On top of all of that the car was horrible on gas mileage. I am really close to getting a new car, because it has 140,000 miles on it.

i'm bullish on taurus
By automobility

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

bought my '05 wagon new, replacing a '95 volvo 960. the volvo was my dream car become rude awakening, so i wanted an affordable, reliable car. i got one.
i keep the mobile one fresh,
am careful with the transmission, complete stops before shifting, etc. when i change the trans fluid, the old looks as clean as the new.
84,000 problem free miles so far. smooth ride, quiet cabin, ice cold air, wonderful stereo,
cheap to insure, and invisible to cops. she is garage kept, and i always park her at the far edge of a lot, so she looks new. last oil change, my mechanic offered to buy the car. i'll drive her 'til she drops, then i'm buying a ford flex

great balance of size, comfort, safey and economy

ford has improved the care immensely