Used 2004 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Worth every 'used penny'
By Predrex

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great low priced, family or individual vehicle. I have found it to be a GREAT rush hour vehicle as well as a very nice open road vehicle. It could use more power in the powertrain area but it's satisfactory unless you're just looking for a performance sedan. I feel that it is far under rated. However, with the Fusion and new 500 series its days are probably numbered. With the added safety package you just simply cannot find a better car in the same class. Opt for the upgraded interior package (leather, command center, etc) and you will be more than happy with the choice. The ride of the vehicle can easily be compared to the higher priced (or class) of family sedans.

Plenty of interior room along with above average comfort for its class. Take the leather interior option when you can. Good air conditioner.

The powertrain could use some real enhancement but overall it's a great highway/road trip vehicle. Once on the highway the gas mileage improves over in town driving very rapidly. Average about 19 mpg in city driving with an average of 26 mpg highway.

Another good Taurus
By Shannon

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a Taurus a long time ago that I really liked (SHO). I have had many cars in between. I decided to go back to a Taurus for my 45 minutes each way/daily commute. I was looking for a comfortable ride, decent gas mileage, good stereo, nice looking, and of course - a sunroof. The Taurus definitely fits. I enjoy driving it each day. Fuel economy could be a bit better, but considering the engine size and car design, it's not bad.

6-speaker stereo sounds great. Smooth ride, comfortable, quiet.

Fuel economy could be improved. Also, installation of an after-market stereo would be difficult if you desired to do so.

Good 4 the price?
By Robert

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good for the price. Good gas mileage for its size. Great room around trunk, in front and back seats. I get an odd rattle/humming from under the hood. Cons: hard seat for traveling, poor expected resale value; doesn't ride, handle or stop as well as top competitors, and a few times acted like it stalled when quickly accelerated.

The on board PC (i.e. systems check). Good stereo ... it does have a clean look though.

Hope they improve the new 2006's after all of our comments even though Taurus is discontinued!

A really nice car
By Michael

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I found an '04 Taurus SES loaded with sunroof, leather, cd changer and with the Duratec engine.It had 30K miles on it. So far I really like the car. I like the acceleration, the comfort and the looks. So I guess if you're looking for a good car for not much money, this would be a good choice. I would definitely try to find one with the Duratec engine. Ford stopped offering that after '04. So far no problems with it and I'm getting 21 MPG in city driving.

Feels very solid and safe. Very comfortable ride.

Well, they're not making them anymore but for the life of me why did they quit offering the Duratec. It was definitely a better engine.

Disappointed
By Dave

2004 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I traded in our Chevy minivan to buy a new Taurus because we have a family, and wanted a car to get better fuel economy. What a big mistake! From day one this car has gotten the worst fuel mileage of anything I have ever owned. The stated fuel mileage is suppose to be 26mpg highway, HA what a joke, we're lucky to get 19mpg. We don't drive fast (55 to 65), and the dealer said the car is fine. Our minivan (Chevy Astro) got 23mpg on the highway steadily, even though is was 1500lbs heavier and had a bigger engine, and my 4 x 4 Dodge with 95,000 miles gets 20mpg! I wish I had never bought this piece of junk.

I don't have to put gas in it, my wife does!

Better gas mileage!