Used 2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2004 Ford Taurus SE
By David

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I put a considerable amount of miles on this car each year; mostly highway. Car has averaged 20mpg. For the most part the Taurus has been reliable, but soon after I passed 60,000 miles (warranty expire) I started to have nagging issues. I performed the regular maintenance, but mechanical elements still broke down (i.e. transmission, alternator, etc.)

I like the size of a full-size car with a relatively low sticker price.

You would think Ford would've identified all the bugs in the Taurus since it has been on the market for years. Seats wore down quickly, very noisy, tires did not last long, cannot use sun visor without blocking the entire windshield.

Wanna Trade?
By Wanna trade?

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle for a little over a year now - my Gma bought it new and passed away, so I got it - and I have had to put tons of $ into it. I expected some, but not nearly the expense I've had. I get ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE gas mileage. 13/14 mpg at most... 15 if I want to spend the $50+ for 93 octane gas, but it's obviously not worth it.

It fits us all.

MUCH NEEDED gas mileage improvement!!!

Bring back into production
By MasterTech

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this under D-plan as a Ford technician for around $12K brand new. This car is now a wow factor, but a solid family car. Wish I could have bought a fleet to last our family for the next millenium. So far I have only put tires and a starter on this vehicle after 83K miles. 1 recall for reflash PCM for flex fuel usage. The 3.0 Vulcan is bulletproof and these cars are easy to work on when they do require service. We will be keeping this vehicle until it can't go anymore in a million years.

Extremely low cost per mile to operate.

Bring this platform back into production. The new Taurus & Taurus X are impersonating.

204 SES
By Joe

2004 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan w/Duratec (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have had two 2004 SES's. We owned the first one for 5 weeks before we were hit in the rearended by someone doing 50+ MPH and we were stopped. The car saved our life. I think the safety of the Taurus is fantastic. We have had the second one for 3 years. The Duratec engine if fantastic. Wonderful road car, very reliable. Still has original brakes at 80,000 miles, replaced tires at 55,000. No problems with it. 20MPG in town, 25MPG on hwy. We love this car!

Reliability, comfort, Duratec 24V engine.

Automatic headlights, front power windows creak (both my Taurus' did that), wish it would last forever.

Need part time job for gas
By Craig

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice mid-sized vehicle, very comfortable, smooth ride. But forget the gas savings,13-14 in the city and mine only has 15000 miles on it. Replaced my 454 4 barrel 88 Suburban with this, what a mistake - got 12 miles to the gallon with that driving in the city. Forget the resale value, was $6000.00 in the hole. Maybe they'll wise up and come up with more economical engine with new 08!

Roomy.