Used 2004 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Functional Vehicle
By ottem82

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great point A to point B vehicle. There is nothing exciting or flashy about it, at the same time it is comfortable, gets decent mileage, and is quite reliable. I bought it with 108000 on it and currently have 146000. I change the oil, put gas in it and drive it. Mileage in everyday driving is 21-25. On the highway driving 80 with the AC on 27-29. Overall it was cheap to purchase and easy to own. If the transmission holds up I'm hoping to run it past 200000.

Nice 16" wheels, mpg, reliability, low price.

Speakers are cheap, I wish it had a manual like every other vehicle on the planet.

Pretty good
By Trex

2004 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car off a Ford dealer in 2006 with 25K miles for $10K. It needed tires about 2 years ago and I put on the expensive Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. This team of tires and vehicle has been the best traction I have ever had in a 2 WD car. I began using it as a courier vehicle part time in 2008, putting on average 40K miles a year. Just went past 125K with only one $150 repair, and oil changes. Feels like I will break 200K getting 25-26 mpg highway and 19-22 city. I gave a little up on mpg for superior traction in all weather with these great tires. It's great to pass a stuck 4 WD car in the snow. May be the best car so far.

Moves strong when needed.

Poor turning radius.

Decent student car for the money
By SDLA

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car overall. The body construction is solid, and it has comfortable seats. This is a great student car for the money; just boring to drive and look at.

Easy to use controls, power everything, very comfortable seats, and body is solid.

Better fuel economy and better suspension and electrical componets.

Loyal Ford Customer
By wendy harbach

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have only owned fords all of my life so when I was looking for a mid size car I fell in love with the taurus. I had it for about 3 weeks when the air conditioning unit went out. Then the breaks and finally the alternator. The vehicle only had 36000 when I purchased it. Since those wonderful days things have only gotten worse. Now the car dies for no reason as I drive it. The breaks have been replace 3 times and The air conditioner doesn't work again. This car has really let me down. I don't think I will ever own another taurus. Just watch it this model seems to have alot of problems. When the repair man saw me coming in he laughed and said whats wrong with this one. Not good!!!!

Love the size and the way it handles. The gas mileage is good.

The Quality

Reliable car
By Nicos

2004 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Taurus new for $17,000 out the door. I put 120,000 miles on it by the time I sold it in Feb 2009. The car was great, comfortable and had good accelaration at higher sppeds. The only problem I had after the warranty expired was I had to replace the bushing between the transmission and engine. Otherwise it was 100% reliable.

Comfortable, great looks at a low price.

The car was fine, the only drawback is the low resale value.