Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Good value
By K Rohrer

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this to be our main family car (now that the kids are all gone). Had 28k on at time of purchase, 84k now. Had a few mechanical challenges, nothing unusual except the trans torque converter about 80k. No fireworks but is not unattractive. And, I can count on it. My mileage is better than most reviewers: 24 around town, up to 37 on a trip (yeah, you read that right!). In fact I just returned from a 400 mile trip and got 37.8. Double checked the math etc.! Just made a 04 Explorer our main car. Was going to replace Taurus with "fuel efficient car" but why bother?

Dependability, fuel efficiency, attractive interior.

Give a little of the trunk space to the back seat.

Good Car
By SES Owner

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 SES with 13,000 miles in September, 2003. Since then I have only had one repair (a $400 camsynchronizer). The car runs good with over 120,000 miles, I have yet to change the brakes or have any other repairs. As for fuel economy, I can get around 24 to 26 mpg on the interstate and around 18 to 20 mpg in town.

Large trunk and plenty of room for kids in the backseat.

I wish Ford would adjust the placement of the rearview mirror. I am 6'3" and the rearview mirror creates a blind spot just in front of the right passenger fender, which causes me to continually adjust my body to get a clear view.

All the mechanics agreed....
By Sarah

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

that this make of car is very poor. They know, because they repair this car so often.I should have listened to my dad, he said the car was junk and it really was. since the very beginning, the car had problems with transmission, broke in May 2007, the alternator, the catalytic sensor, the catalytic converter, etc. I invested $4000 in repairs. but I had enough, I divorced my car I cant have this constant stress about what will be next and really be stressed out about the cost. Also the interior is bad quality, thing are tearing apart. Sound is bad. Advice: before buying this car, ask mechanics and you will change your mind. Buy a good car, a Subaru or Toyota.

It is roomy inside, it has very good space inside. The truck is very spacious.

they probably made some changes in the newer models.

Watch Out!
By Frank

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this Ford with 26,000 miles for just over $11000. The car has been great, until now With 80000 miles, the transmission failed without warning, the rear wheel bearings started screaming for attention. Now that the repairs are done, the car leaks transission and engine oil. I'm told bad design. This was my first and last Ford, I'm going back to a Jeep!

lots of car for the money
By Ray in Erie

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Taurus now for 4 years, and am absolutely delighted with it. I have about 105000 trouble free miles on it. The only problem I had was the remote keypad on the door went bad, and that was replaced under warranty. It gets great mileage on the hgy (27mpg). with the price of gas I sometimes think of trading it for a 4cyl Ford Fusion or similar vehicle, but their mileage isn't that much better than the V6 in my Taurus.

Leather interior, reliability, beautiful styling

Can't think of any. Hope to keep it another 100000 miles.