Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Love my Taurus
By javacup1

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have nothing but good things to say about my Taurus completely dependable I have 173k mi. only cost i had was regular service changing plugs gas filter etc as specified in manual the only part that needed replacement more then once was the from stabilizer bar other than that it rides like a gem and i am proud to own a ford and it's American and i came from the saabs Nissans volvos.

This is my 8th Taurus
By Johnny Mano

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2003 ses. I bought it with 40,000 miles for $9,500. It has all options except leather (I swapped the leather seats with my 2001 that I gave to the kids, it had 125,000 miles).I currently have 135k and am thinking about giving it to the kids. In all that time I have only done the brakes once as well as the stabilizer links. I completely tuned it recently. Since day one the transmission has hesitated when I started (when the car is hot) so I've learned to drive off easy. I average 22 mpg consistently on a tank of gas. I did notice the wheel well had some bubbling paint. Everything about the car is average,consider it's cheap and easy to fix. I own a 97, and 2-98's that my kids drive, I love them

sun roof, black paint and spoiler. I have the console shifter and alloy wheels. the fold down rear seats enable you to carry 8" 2x4's. Good in the snow excellent a/c. I love that it starts every time and runs smooth especially on the highway at 70 mph.

Interior wind noise. Heater tube (carries coolant through the firewall into the heater core) rusts out,part $80 from dealer. Drum brakes in the rear,a nightmare to do yourself though I have done it. Getting the drum off is almost impossible. FYI you cant change the alternator on the 24v yourself!

Sad I sold it
By AFGUY

2003 Ford Taurus SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a 2003 Taurus SES for about 2yrs. White with dark tint windows, very sharp. Loved the super comfy seats, good power, everything seemed to be in its place, very easy for people unfamiliar with the car to get in and drive with no questions. had 60k when I bought it drove from Wyoming to Texas a couple times, and back and forth to work everyday, no issues other than transmission slipped from 1st to 2nd when I turned left and i was on the gas pretty hard a couple times. Sold it because I'm moving and it's been three days and I already miss it.

front armrest and storage was excellent, BIG trunk; I'm military and it held all my battle rattle with room to spare. Gas mileage great for mid-sized sedan

Tranny issue; but it did have over 70k on it. auto headlights would have been nice. tune the engine for a tad more power; i know the capabilities of the good ol' 3.0 and it was VERY de-tuned for this application.

Crazy to buy this!
By Crazywoman

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was desperate to get a car while having bad credit. I had been unemployed for almost a year, had to turn in my previous vehicle. The dealer could smell my fear a mile away & took advantage of me .I thought I would have reliable transport. Oh, no. I've put $2000+ in repairs on this piece of crap in 2.5 years. Brakes squeal and 2 brake shops say they are very good. Something wrong with a rod and the radiator cracked sitting at home for 2 days. Windshield washers are disintegrated. I use a spray bottle. I hate the car. I should've taken more time to look around. No Fords OR Chevys for me EVER again. 21 mpg is NOT good mileage, either. It's another Edsel.

It looks like an old lady's car so I don't get stopped when I'm speeding.

Trash the whole line and get going on real gas savers reasonably priced for a change.

Piece of Junk
By eltorodriver

2003 Ford Taurus SES FFV 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love ford, and I have had other Taurus models. This one is not reliable, always in the shop. Very little pick up for a 6V engine. Brakes stink. Parts are of poor quality. Things break easily. Would not buy this year and model. For Ford, this is very POOR quality, redundant design, and low performance. Sadly, this is one of my worst cars.

New interior design, more engine, better quality plastics.