Used 2003 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Not my first choice
By b_engels7

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drove an '03 Taurus for 7 years, and in that time I had to replace the transmission, the cam, struts, break lines, the muffler, and a multitude of repairs which I have repressed from my memory.
The car produced phantom odors, odd sounds, and mysterious leaks.
The front passenger floor flooded constantly for some reason.
The gas mileage was terrible, I'd say around 18 highway and 12 city by a rough estimate.
The transmission is twitchy so dont expect a smooth ride. Be prepared to spend a lot on repairs, my advice: save your money and buy a honda or something.

Cabin size, trunk space

Gas mileage was poor for it's class, numerous mechanical failures, poor acceleration

Pretty decent
By michaeldav1234

2003 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Going from a '97 Acura 2.5 TL to a 2003 Taurus was a bit different at first. I miss the sunroof and leather seats and climate control system my Acura had. Overall, I am very satisfied with my Royal Blue 2003 Taurus SE. I bought it on Valentine's Day 2012 and almost a year later and more than 20,000 miles putting it at 130,000 miles, I've only had to replace the starter, alternator, and battery which were all under warranty from JD Byrider (hence the 1 star for value because I'm overpaying for it). I have driven it from Jackson, MS to New Orleans and to Ole Miss numerous times and it has not failed me. Will keep til I can get a brand new black Ford Taurus SHO.

Handling, design, reliable, gets me from a to b, 330-340 miles on a tank of gas, heater blows HOT and A/C is COLD which is great for Mississippi heat.

Interior features which have been improved in the newer Tauruses.

Best American car we've ever had.
By ndecker

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had problems with Ford's in the past. Got this car for free, but it needed a lot of TLC because the previous owner neglected it. Bought and installed the parts myself, never had a problem with it. This car is absolutely amazing, nothing else like it. Just turned 100k miles and still running strong.

Lot's of room both in the interior and trunk, rides smooth, acceptable performance for a family sedan. You can tell the car has a V6, there's no loss in power going down the freeway with 4+ people.

Could use better rear struts, most tauri need them. MPG could be better.

Best Car ever
By lawnboy270

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our first new car.
From day one it has been awesome.
Now almost 10 years and 244,000 miles later it continues to do whatever is asked of it.
The Duratec 24v 3.0 is quite trouble free.
It still has the original starter, alternator, and water pump.
The trans is the same one it came with in 2003 and has never gave an issue shifting.
Take care of your car and it will take care of you.
Oil changes every 5k, trans fluid change, and fuel filter every 30k, coolant every 100k. Why I would ever buy a import after owning this car?
It made us a Ford family for life.

The 24 valve engine gets this car up and will move it even after 244k. No issues with acceleration in rush hour traffic

Average MPG 24, have had as high as 28. For a small v-6 it could be a little better for MPG.

Ford Taurus V6 vulcan, Good sedan
By jermz17

2003 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good car, It has all the features you would need to drive a family around. But like all cars this one does have common problems but they can be fixed.

Fuel pump, Coil pack, and camshaft. Not cheap but easy to fix and if you take good car of the car it will take care of you.

4 wheel disc brakes, upgraded coil packs, upgraded fuel pump.