Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

fun daily driver
By colin crawford

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

i'm 18 as of writing this review and i got this car when i was 17 for 1,500 dollars and it had 98,000 miles on her. this car has been one the best cars i have ever driven and it's realibilty is equally great..... as long as you listen to it. it will never let you down if you treat it like a friend. the only complaint i have is ford's design on the front springs caused them break and destroty the passenger side tire but otherwise it is a very safe reliable pieace of machinery. it is a very smooth riding car that turns on a dime but does not break so quickly.

One Fit Ford
By Bob

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Ford Taurus is doing well at 316,000 plus miles. I bought it in 2003 with 24,000 miles on it and have maintained it well. It is mechanically sound and with timely, complete maintenance, I have never had any problems with the motor nor transmission. I have replaced the battery, starter, alternator, etc. but nothing major. I live in the metro Detroit, Michigan area where salt is used in the winter. As a result, the rocker panels are rusty but the rest of the body is holding up well. I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this vehicle and would buy it again if I could, but the past is the past. Right now, I am shooting for 400,000 miles.

205,000 miles still ticking
By John

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

IV owed this car for 15 years now with 205,000 miles it's still going. Had to put a junkyard transmission in it not too long ago, and a $17 oil preasure switch and a new tensioner but it's to be expected at that age and miliage. Idles a bit rough when first started but like I said she's old been from Maine to Florida, Alabama now Tennesee. With age and wear and tear you can expect to have repairs. It's been a great car.

be aware
By s grieshaber

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

many maintenance and repair items take twice as long as say GM cars. if well maintained can be reliable.

2002 Ford Taurus SE Sedan Honest Owner Review
By Nick

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 Ford Taurus in April 2016. It is my first car, and it had just about 86,000 miles on it and cost $2,900, a fair price at the time. Throughout the time I've owned this car, the experience I have gained from owning this car has been completely average. By this, I mean that nothing about this car really stands out while compared to other cars of it's class. It's a vehicle that was built for the purpose of getting you and any other passengers from point A to point B. It isn't as comfortable as a luxury sedan, but it also doesn't feel like a pickup truck going down a dirt road. It's average. It doesn't have the power of a new Audi S8, but it's also not as slow as a Yugo. It's average. It's not as mechanically sound as a Toyota 4Runner, but it won't leave you in the dust like a 500,000 mile Cavalier would. Once again, it's average. Getting into the driver's seat, I immediately notice something very convenient; door handles in just the right spot where you don't have to pull at a weird angle just to close the door. I've noticed in newer Fords (such as a 2013 Fusion, 2012 Fiesta, 2012 Focus, 2012 Edge) that the interior door handle (driver side) is placed closer to the steering wheel, meaning you're pulling the door shut in an uncomfortable position which gets on my nerves every time I get in. Also, the center console feels very roomy and makes for a comfortable arm rest when it is not folded back into an extra seat. Sometimes the little things really count! An adjustable steering wheel and electric seats and pedals with easy to use controls makes finding the right position very easy, however the seats aren't ones that I could still feel comfortable in after a long drive. Although the entire vehicle isn't enormous, it has a very spacious interior able to fit 6 total people! I'm 5'11 and have plenty of headroom and my knees aren't constantly hitting the bottom of the steering wheel. The trunk has plenty of space as well, and should fit all of your basic needs without a problem! My experience driving my Taurus varies every time I get in. On some days, it accelerates very well and gets me up to speed without a problem. On other days it feels slow and sluggish, as if I'm driving with 3 other 200 pound men in the car with the AC on when I'm only driving by myself on the same roads I go down every day. One thing that is consistent however is that it struggles to go up any slight hill. Another trait about my Taurus that is inconsistent is the shifting. Sometimes it will shift into the next gear (accelerating from about 25-35mph) at around 2800 RPMs and go down to about 2100, but other times it will go all the way up to around 3600-4000 RPMs before it shifts, despite the fact that I don't drive any differently on those 2 occasions. In terms of it's reliability, I feels as though it's days are numbered. Every day it gets me where I need to go and has not given me any huge trouble. The only real problem that I have had with it in the past 10,000 miles was 2 bad starters and a dead battery. Other than that, the only things that needed to be done was a new AC blower motor, windshield wipers, alignment, and oil changes. The current problems that I have as of March 2017 are a bad passenger side reverse light, a belt that squeaks when wet, and possibly a dirty throttle body (sometimes the gas pedal gets stuck while in resting position). The gas mileage isn't horrible, but it doesn't feel great either. I get about 250 miles out of a full tank, considering I've been driving at or slightly over the speed limit every day for about 2 weeks. If I have to do any highway driving or 30-ish minute long drives multiple times a week, a full tank might only last a week or less. All in all, my Taurus has served it's purpose as my first car; getting me where I need to go without having to spend a ton of money on it. All in all, I would recommend the Taurus to somebody who needs to transport multiple people on a regular basis but is on a tighter budget. For someone such as myself who doesn't transport more than 1 or 2 people regularly and doesn't need to travel more than 5-15 miles round-trip every day, the Taurus isn't the vehicle that really suits my lifestyle. In April 2016 when I bought my Taurus, it's value at 86,000 miles purchasing from a dealer was $2,900 between Edmunds and KBB. As of March 2017, the value of the same car with 86,000 miles from a dealer is about $2,200, and I'm afraid that the value will keep on going down throughout the next few years. For me, this wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't consider selling it in the near future. All in all, it has served me relatively well in the past year, however, at 95,000 miles I don't feel as though it will keep being reliable and hold up very well for the next few years, nor will it hold it's value for very long.