Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

I will never buy an American made auto again
By bearls1017

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this auto with 26,000 miles. At 30,000 the check engine light came on. After taking it in to the dealer 6 times, they finally realized the heads needed rebuilding. It had over 36,000 miles on it then. After the fight, they rebuilt with no charge to me. Now, at 70,000 it needs it again. This is a piece of junk and I will never buy an American made car after all this.

Moonroof, great stereo.

Retire the car.

A Lot of Car For The Money
By Todd Morris

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I buy cars for long-term service. I pastor a Baptist Church and drive anywhere from 20-30 thousand miles each year. My Taurus has performed flawlessly. Good power, decent mpg, great comfort, best handling car I have ever owned. It is a fun to drive family sedan, really drives like a sports car. I am thrilled with the car.

The handling and the comfort of ride are in my opinion best in class. I drove the Camry and the Accord before buying the Taurus. In the comfort and handling category the Taurus won hands down in my book.

The only major adjustment that I see needed is improved fuel economy. In the winter things are great with 27-28 mpg. But in summer with A/C running it drops about 2 mpg. Friend has a Buick Century that gets about 30 mpg, but is less comfortable and less fun to drive.

mixed emotions about this car...
By Ed

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has been a mixed bag of good and bad. Had to have carburetor work done on it, replaced the tires and a battery, have had the brakes serviced twice. Now, the fuel level sensor is going out. May or may not work, and it kicks the check engine light on when it's not working. Was told that repairing that involves not only replacing the sensor, but the fuel pump as well? Hmmm... When I last had it serviced at the 3,000 mile interval, the oil was down a quart. Can't find any leaks, and it doesn't appear to be burning oil. Am also being told that the transmission fluid needs to be replaced, but have heard conflicting advice about the best way to do that. Car has 70,000 miles.

Handles well under most driving conditions. Comfortable, roomy, adequate acceleration

Transmission is slow to respond when taken out of overdrive. Brakes shouldn't need servicing as often. Doesn't warm up in cold weather until it's actually being driven.

02 Taurus SE Sedan
By cab xerro

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had a mechanical issue. Great mileage and handling at highway speeds. A very comfortable car.

Interior comfort, low noise at highway speeds, good handling and controls.

My Troublesome Taurus
By Davarna Rainbolt

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SES with a DOHC engine used in '03. It currently has 104,000 miles on it as I drive a lot. I've had problems like other reviews. Replaced two oxygen sensors at 70,000 miles. Torque converter on the transmission went bad and then a sensor went bad causing a problem that appeared to be the transmission again at 100,000 miles. One window has never worked -- won't pay $200 to fix it. Has new tires and alignment -- still seems to vibrate, lots of wind noise. Looks very sporty and has a powerful engine when running right but I have little faith in this car since it has been undependable compared to other cars I've owned. Depreciated so fast I'm stuck with it for awhile -- hope the troubles are over!

Sporty looking and comfortable. Powerful engine for queen of the road driving.

I hope they have gotten these problems fixed in newer models -- no way I'm buying another Taurus (or any Ford) to find out.