Used 2002 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2002 SE
By JS

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus was purchased off fleet at around 100k miles at a decent price. No major mechanical issues with this car, but many minor repairs considering the high mileage. New transmission seals were needed around 130k, several emissions sensor failures over the 40k (2yrs) that I have driven it, and a camshaft position sensor and sync replacement are the highlights of the repair history. Also suffers from crummy Ford power window syndrome, requiring slow and expensive repair. Handles well for its size, especially at high speeds, but a little stiff at low speeds. Weak engine and squirrely transmission hinder an otherwise competant car which ran me the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Handling (for size) on the highway is excellent, and makes for a very competant long distance car. I do a lot of long distance (1000+ mile) driving, and I really appreciate how well this car tracks even in high winds. Nice big trunk, and tons of headroom for a big guy like myself.

Crummy (drum) brakes and long stopping distance. Lousy brake pedal placement. Column shifter makes using overdrive off position to slow vehicle difficult, hard to work, too. Needed a 2nd gear option. Not enough door side legroom. Rearview mirror makes tight turns dangerous by blocking view. Slow car

2002 Taurus
By GregoryGalllo

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car for the money. Water leak by blower motor, trans shifts erratically, and the ride is somewhat rough, but it runs well. I get 22-26 mgg (have gotten 30 on highway only). It is my third Taurus. They're cheap to buy, insure, refuel and operate. Plus, real low on the theft list.

Cup holders.

2nd Taurus, Never Happier
By gmercedesbenz

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my baby in March of '07 with 74k on her. Its been 2 months, I've taken her to Long Island and Virgina, with no problems at all. Only had to replace a sway bar link when I first got her, under dealer warranty. My SEL is loaded with ever option. Highly suggested for a college commuter, it will get you there, and look good when you get there!

DOHC V6 with 200 ponies. One touch open sunroof, power pedals, huge trunk. A lot of car for the money.

Just try and make the interior materials a little more durable. And add rear disk brakes on the sedan!

Great Family Car
By Brandy T

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when we were expecting a second child. It's roomy enough for all of us. The trunk has a TON of space. Love the extra features of the SEL, but with the extra power comes less than optimal gas mileage (22 mpg city, 26 hwy). Since I only drive 12-15k/year it's not too big a deal.

Sunroof, truck space, 6 disc CD changer.

I will never buy an American made auto again
By bearls1017

2002 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this auto with 26,000 miles. At 30,000 the check engine light came on. After taking it in to the dealer 6 times, they finally realized the heads needed rebuilding. It had over 36,000 miles on it then. After the fight, they rebuilt with no charge to me. Now, at 70,000 it needs it again. This is a piece of junk and I will never buy an American made car after all this.

Moonroof, great stereo.