Used 2001 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Poor quality car
By Gigi Kent

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you haven't bought one yet, don't.

Roomy interior and stylish exterior.

Engine, transmission, brakes, steering pump (noisy) and just about everything else.

IT'S RIGHT
By JT Hernandez

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car is ok to drive, dependable, reliable, good gas mileage, pretty decent ride for long trips. Regular maintenance and you will be fine (oil changes, transmission service every 50,000 miles or so). Brake rotors major problem, they warp very easily. Even with them NEW, stopping distance is mediocre, need 4-discs instead of drums in the back. Seats are slightly uncomfortable; I feel the need to adjust the seat constantly. Needs more HP and response to throttle. Also, if you intend to drive this car aggressively beware engine oil pressure jumps up very quickly. Only thing I have replaced is the serpentine belt 117k miles.

Nice looking exterior tip - add tints, sharpen the look even more.

Rotors need improvement. Seats should fold-down in the rear. Driver seat should be more comfortable. More HP.

Ford Taurus
By Victor

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission blew at 51, 000 miles and the vehicle has been in the shop for numerous mechanical things. I would not buy another Ford if it were the last car on the market.

Buy something else.

Great if you need a big ol' cruiser
By Julie

2001 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 30,000 miles. Like so many of the Tauruses, the front rotors were trashed and the rear brake components were about ready to go and all needed to be replaced. Have your brakes inspected by a competent shop! The car ran great until the dealer did a tune up. After that point the engine knocked terribly, except with premium fuel and they said there was nothing they could do. On the freeway, it was great, about 28mpg. When I moved to the city it got between 12-16mpg which was not acceptable. Other than that, it never broke down and had LOTS of room.

Comfortable for freeway cruising. Lots of cargo room. I liked the center console in it.

Was like lugging a big boat around in the city. Terrible turning radius and cumbersome to drive. Ford, can't you make decent brakes?

What Else Could You Want?
By JFIELDS

2001 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Taurus now for almost 5 years. I bought it new with 3 miles on it. since the day I drove it off the lot I have not had one problem with it, other than the normal brakes and oil changes and tires (also I suggest changing the tires to a better quality...it improves the ride considerably). I do however have a strange rattle noise coming from what I presume to be my windshield (right where the dash meets the windshield) and no one can seem to find out how to fix it or where it is coming from! I love this car and my brother just bought a Ford 500 and I would by another Taurus (which I am due to the 251,000 miles on mine). I would definitely suggest this car to anyone.

I love the 6 cd changer and the moonroof and the keyless entry and of course the power adjustable pedals. Also the traction control has helped me out in many situations, and my Mach audio system is still as good as the day I drove it off the lot. Great engine.

Definitely the gas mileage...it stinks, but with the other qualities of the car, it outweighs that little minor detail. After all gas just costs money and you just have to work for money right?