Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

Comfort, handling, road holding, performance, gas mileage due to sensible gearing, steering has good feel, although a little undergeared. Controls easy to use, ABS and traction works well. Good crash protection, although side airbags should be standard.

Disc brakes all around. Double pots on the front brakes to avoid the 'magic- inch' when nothing happens when you brake initially. Better door sealing. ABS/Traction/Side bags should be standard. Worst problem is Fords H.Q. customer service. I complained about service locally, their response was a joke.

5 years, Paid off, and Going Strong
By AvgMike

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

I cannot complain about my Taurus. I have owned it since she was born and the car still refuses to disappoint. There have been the minor recalls and I have followed the recommended maintenance program. But that is expected and necessary if you want long life out of any car. The power is enough for my driving style, and the car still looks great!

Safety features, 6 Disk CD, COLD A/C, decent power.

None.

American Car
By A.C.

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Taurus in May 2000. Now it has 87,000 miles on it. The problems: Brake sensor failed (recall); power steering pump made wining noise - replaced under warranty; right front window scratched pretty bad - replaced under warranty; driver's door is not tight, hense wind noise; funny noise in suspension - repaired under warranty, dealer never said what was wrong; power steering fluid leaked from under the filling cap; fuel gauge gives wrong reading; the warning light for the ABS doesn't work; right rear power window motor blew twice - replaced under warranty; the steering wheel air bag's cover is painted(!), had cracks in it after only 5 months, the paint rubs off easily. Fuel economy - none.

The Duratec engine. That's it!

Quality! Cannot stress it enough! Transmission is vague, supposed to be adaptive, but in 5 years still doesn't know what the heck do I want from it. There is no gear selection indicator on the dashboard for this model. Why? The seats could be better.

Good Value So Far
By J.K. BURGE

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Taurus LX new. So far I am very pleased with it. I currently have 44,000 miles on it. I also have a 2001 Toyota Corolla, which is a good car on the city streets, but on the highway the Taurus is far superior.

Ride quality is excellent on highway.

None- keep up the good work Ford.

Average at best
By lary jameson

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

Average American car. Needs repair every 5-6 months. Starter, wiper motor, computer chip, brake vibration etc. Last 3 cars (Toyota & Subarus) went to 150K miles without this type of repair. Dealers can't seem to fix problems the first time but have got it right without extra charge. Cheaper than comparable Japanese make with same features but you make it up with repairs.

Very comforable and roomy. Good seats. 30 mpg highway. Adequate power and handling.

If these were as reliable as a Camry it would be a great car.