Used 2000 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Good, but junk
By Ken

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

This is a powerful car. Fun to drive. Took it from Wisconsin to Arizona with no problems. But ... this thing is junk. I've had to put so much money into this thing. Brakes, fuel injectors, air conditioning, tie rods, steering column, had it in for transmissions problems 5 TIMES, engine noise (dealer cant find the problem). As soon as I hit 75,000 miles, WHEN THE WARRANTY WAS UP, the front end started making noise. Oh also, the steering makes a loud squeaking noise. Typical Ford product. Nice car, if you have the money for regular maintenance. By the way i only have 75,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 182,000 miles with no major problems.

Love the power.

Make it so it can actually last!

My reliable used Ford.
By Eric Wehrenberg

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is by far the BEST used car that I ever purchased. The ride is smooth and the car is mechanically sound. Gas mileage is as high as 28 highway but on average is in the area of 26 mpg. Even around town the Taurus is good on gas. I am truly pleased with this car. Visibility is good and the truck space is large. Seating is comfortable and car seats fit in the back without difficulty. I would recommend the Ford Taurus to anyone who is looking for a reliable used vehicle.

Tilt steering and anti lock brakes.

Acceleration from a stopped or slowed position such as coming out of a toll booth area is slow. I would expect a little quicker take off from a V6. Rear defrost button blends in too much with other dashboard controls. Rear seats should have anchors for car seats not just anchors on the back deck.

Nice solid car
By Michael vanHaagen

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the Ford SES FFV with 70 thousand miles on it. I drove it from California to Texas. The car handles well on windy days and really likes to drive at freeway speed for hours at a time. Mileage on trip was about 30MPG. I also have a Toyota Corolla same year -- 2000. The Ford is more solid. However I am kind of scared to drive the Ford because of its reputation for problems. The car has had many recalls and some problems like fuel pump failures as seen by the repair history kept by my dad. The Toyota has none. I guess time will tell but so far I have not had any problems.

Fold down rear seat, nice style, solid feel, good road manners, back A/C vent.

Need cruise control and key switch lighted at night; also a CD player would be good. Four wheel disk brakes would also be a plus.

2000 Taurus SE Review
By Dave55

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years and overall it is a good car. A bit sporty & stylish and comfortable on the long drives and quite reliable. I agree with the comments about under powered and this is an easy problem to fix but Ford has once again ignored its customers. My biggest problem, and this will probably cause me to buy another brand of car, is a leaking oil pan. It was fixed 10 months ago and it is leaking once again and the local dealer refuses to do anything to help me other than charge me for another oil pan gasket. Other than that I haven't had a lot of problems with the car and I will probably keep it a few more years before looking at a Chevrolet Impala.

Stylish.

Ford really needs to pay more attention to its customers.

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy

2000 Ford Taurus Sedan SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Powerful 24V V6, side air bags, handling is firm but not punishing for a sedan. I average 28 mpg with Taurus, wonderful reliability!

I must admit I miss the SHO :)