Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Never Again
By Jay

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Will never buy another Ford again. This vehicle had 1st transmission & power steering pump replaced after 40k miles, 2nd factory rebuilt transmission went at 103k miles and 2nd power steering replaced at 85k along with air conditioning compressor. Worst vehicle for maintenance that I have ever owned.

Style and room

Plan on anti-anxiety drugs!
By sad and broke

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought the car new, looking for an alternative to a minivan. It is the most comfortable car I've ever driven. I had several recalls, but most distressing was engine failure at 114K. I replaced the engine and got a 75K guaranty, only to have it fail again at 140K. In addition to the repair costs, I had to rent a car since there was no loaner provided. I replaced the engine, then traded it in on an Impala, and have heard from my mechanic that the engine has failed in the year since I traded in. I can't understand how a car with about 170K can be on its 4th engine. My first Ford, an Escort,was a great car. I mistakenly thought getting the Taurus would be a step up.

The seating is roomy and very comforable. This is important since you'll often be sitting by the road, stranded. It handles well when running. I liked the bench seat and 3rd seat options.

Ford needs to invest some time in improving quality and providing relief to customers who are having chronic problems. At some point it would be good PR to say,"How can we make this right for you?" The CD changer placement was ridiculous.

'00 Taurus SES
By RD

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Bought a low mileage, SES with duratec engine. Can't say enough about the car. Build quality is excellent. Duratec engine is strong & powerful. I had a Sable before this SES, with Vulcan engine and there's no comparison. Clean, bold lines with none of the nanny features that are present today's vehicle. Straight forward and reliable is this SES, you can find many bargains on used Taurus & Sables.

Duratec engine, clean lines of the interior and exterior, smooth stout ride. No nanny features.

More mpg.

Only OK
By OK

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Taurus with 140,000 miles on it. Besides basic maintenace, there are things that I've had to get fixed. A lot of the sensors went bad an they had to be replaced. That cost about $200. The fans for the airconditioner went bad and had to be replaced. That was a about $600. Finally at 139,000 the transmission had to be rebuilt. That was $1600. This car is OK. I recommend not keeping it after 100,000 miles.

I really like the body style. Even though it's a 2000 it could really pass for newer. The paint holds up great!

I wish mechanically items would've lasted longer, such as the sensors and transmission.

Reliable SES
By Buddy4

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Has been a very reliable car, never have had anything fail or break down. The only expenses have been routine maintainence items, i.e. belts, hoses, battery, tires, etc.

Solid comfortable ride, very roomy inside, and great flexibility carrying things with its large trunk and fold down rear seats.

Perhaps a little more powerful engine. I've got the smaller V-6 with 155 HP. It's adequete, but on the plus side I'm getting good gas mileage, 20MPG city, 24 MPG combined, 27 MPG highway.