Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Better than a Honda or a Toyota!
By Andy

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

Okay, if you are looking for a great affordable car this is the one. My wife and I traded in her Element (after numerous problems) for the Taurus and I cannot pry her hands away from the keys. We go everywhere with the Taurus and have never had one issue with it. Right now we have 59K on it and it runs like it rolled off the showroom floor. To compare my in-laws have a 2000 Honda Accord with the same mileage that has had to have the water pump replaced twice and was leaking oil at the seals. And who would want a Camry with the sludge and seizing engine problems that were an issue for 1996-2002?!?! If you are looking for a safe and reliable vehicle look no further!

Powerful 24V V6, side air bags, handling is firm but not punishing for a sedan. I average 28 mpg with Taurus, wonderful reliability!

I must admit I miss the SHO :)

Underrated Car for the masses
By Ian

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My Duratec 24V engine Taurus has been utterly reliable. I've covered 39,000 miles since 11/02. I service it myself and use synthetic oil and high quality filters, which I change every 10K miles. I got a repair shop to change the serpentine belt, changed brake fluid and auto-fluid too. This helps maintain the car's life and reliability I feel. Regarding performance, only use the overdrive 4th gear on freeways, stick to the 3 speed around town, gas mileage will improve as the box is not hunting up and down all the time. Great road holding and comfort. Seats are hard, but good for my back and there is oceans of space inside. Controls are easy to use. Brakes are appalling, as is wind noise.

Comfort, handling, road holding, performance, gas mileage due to sensible gearing, steering has good feel, although a little undergeared. Controls easy to use, ABS and traction works well. Good crash protection, although side airbags should be standard.

Disc brakes all around. Double pots on the front brakes to avoid the 'magic- inch' when nothing happens when you brake initially. Better door sealing. ABS/Traction/Side bags should be standard. Worst problem is Fords H.Q. customer service. I complained about service locally, their response was a joke.

5 years, Paid off, and Going Strong
By AvgMike

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

I cannot complain about my Taurus. I have owned it since she was born and the car still refuses to disappoint. There have been the minor recalls and I have followed the recommended maintenance program. But that is expected and necessary if you want long life out of any car. The power is enough for my driving style, and the car still looks great!

Safety features, 6 Disk CD, COLD A/C, decent power.

None.

Ford - You lost us!
By Lee

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

Our last 4 cars have all been Fords, before trading this one in for a Toyota Sienna van. Our first was a '91 wagon, which was awesome for its economy, and reliability (it finally gave out with 210k miles). The Windstar van was a mistake, and the last 2 Tauruses were only slightly better. We unloaded this wagon with 98k miles for fear of transmission problems. There also was little effort by the company to address our complaints (which included both calls and a letter). We would have loved to stay with a domestic maker, but it just didn't make sense. Ford - we were your customers, and you lost us!

The third seat for the kids.

Poor mileage - my 91' got about 5 mpg more than the 2000.

American Car
By A.C.

2000 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan

Bought my Taurus in May 2000. Now it has 87,000 miles on it. The problems: Brake sensor failed (recall); power steering pump made wining noise - replaced under warranty; right front window scratched pretty bad - replaced under warranty; driver's door is not tight, hense wind noise; funny noise in suspension - repaired under warranty, dealer never said what was wrong; power steering fluid leaked from under the filling cap; fuel gauge gives wrong reading; the warning light for the ABS doesn't work; right rear power window motor blew twice - replaced under warranty; the steering wheel air bag's cover is painted(!), had cracks in it after only 5 months, the paint rubs off easily. Fuel economy - none.

The Duratec engine. That's it!

Quality! Cannot stress it enough! Transmission is vague, supposed to be adaptive, but in 5 years still doesn't know what the heck do I want from it. There is no gear selection indicator on the dashboard for this model. Why? The seats could be better.