Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

My reliable used Ford.
By Eric Wehrenberg

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

This is by far the BEST used car that I ever purchased. The ride is smooth and the car is mechanically sound. Gas mileage is as high as 28 highway but on average is in the area of 26 mpg. Even around town the Taurus is good on gas. I am truly pleased with this car. Visibility is good and the truck space is large. Seating is comfortable and car seats fit in the back without difficulty. I would recommend the Ford Taurus to anyone who is looking for a reliable used vehicle.

Tilt steering and anti lock brakes.

Acceleration from a stopped or slowed position such as coming out of a toll booth area is slow. I would expect a little quicker take off from a V6. Rear defrost button blends in too much with other dashboard controls. Rear seats should have anchors for car seats not just anchors on the back deck.

Roomy but no power
By maryann

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

We needed a roomier car than my Honda Accord for our growing family. The Taurus wagon was a great fit for all four plus a 50 lb. dog. I was grateful for selecting it over an SUV when we avoided a head on collision through emergency handling in New Brunswick Canada. The car was loaded for a 2-week vacation with luggage carrier on top. We absolutely would have rolled over in an SUV. The car (and driver) performed beautifully under extreme conditions. Negatives: this car eats brake pads for lunch and I'm no pedal to the metal driver, no rabbit starts and stops. On several occasions, the car has stalled on the highway and no mechanic has been able to diagnose the problem.

Best features include storage, visibility, passenger capacity (8!), emergency handling.

Interior locking gas cap should be on all vehicles. All of my Hondas had this feature. I bought a locking gas cap, but it was a pain using the key in frigid temperatures! The engine is under powered and gas mileage is poor. Ford needs to use more durable material for brake pads.

2000 Ford Taurus decent auto
By peter

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I have had this car for 5 years; it is a decent car. My main gripe is lousy gas mileage in the city -- around 16-18 mpg. The mechanical reliability is ok, but it seems that there is a lot of normal wear and tear, such as struts,tie rods etc. I have the v6 with 153 hp. I wish I had purchased the more powerful engine as sometimes the car seems that it cannot get out of its own way. I like the safety features; front and side impact air bags, 4 wheel ABS. It is a really good looking car and overall have no regrets buying this car.

Safety features, looks.

Improve gas mileage.

Nice solid car
By Michael vanHaagen

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

My dad gave me the Ford SES FFV with 70 thousand miles on it. I drove it from California to Texas. The car handles well on windy days and really likes to drive at freeway speed for hours at a time. Mileage on trip was about 30MPG. I also have a Toyota Corolla same year -- 2000. The Ford is more solid. However I am kind of scared to drive the Ford because of its reputation for problems. The car has had many recalls and some problems like fuel pump failures as seen by the repair history kept by my dad. The Toyota has none. I guess time will tell but so far I have not had any problems.

Fold down rear seat, nice style, solid feel, good road manners, back A/C vent.

Need cruise control and key switch lighted at night; also a CD player would be good. Four wheel disk brakes would also be a plus.

2000 Taurus SE Review
By Dave55

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 2 years and overall it is a good car. A bit sporty & stylish and comfortable on the long drives and quite reliable. I agree with the comments about under powered and this is an easy problem to fix but Ford has once again ignored its customers. My biggest problem, and this will probably cause me to buy another brand of car, is a leaking oil pan. It was fixed 10 months ago and it is leaking once again and the local dealer refuses to do anything to help me other than charge me for another oil pan gasket. Other than that I haven't had a lot of problems with the car and I will probably keep it a few more years before looking at a Chevrolet Impala.

Stylish.

Ford really needs to pay more attention to its customers.