Used 2000 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Surprises, Surprises...
By PGH_FORD

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I bought this Taurus SES new in 2000. It had no major problems for the first three years, other than 3 recalls. After 3 years things got interesting. At 44K, one of the rear coil springs snapped which destroyed a new tire as well as a rear strut. I ended up having to have both rear springs replaced, a new strut mount, 2 new struts, a new tire, and an alignment. The cost was over $1,500. The kicker was, this very problem was considered a safety recall on the front wheels, but not the back. Ford Customer service was not helpful. At 60,000 miles, my transmission began leaking fluid all over the garage floor. This ended up costing me $925 to for new gaskets and a torque converter.

I like the exterior styling and the 24 valve V6 engine is powerful.

I only drive my car 10,000 miles per year and take good care of it. I have been very surprised at some of the repairs I have had to make to this car. They just don't make any sense for the amount of mileage and car age. I have decided my next car will not be a Ford.

Brembo Brake Rotors Needed, Best Buy
By observer22

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Mandatory to have Brembo brake rotors installed on any Taurus (no special brake pads needed) to overcome the rather poor stopping performance with standard rotors. Like a Volvo, it is comfortable, great crash test scores, quiet. More reliable and much less expensive to work on than Volvo. Large trunk. Best to get a Taurus when it is 4 years or older due to depreciation. Cheap to insure and 2000 and newer models have addressed the various problems & weird styling of late 90s models. Buy it!

Large comfortable seats with lots of shoulder room, any mechanic can work on them, great crash test scores, classy styling.

Fit and finish, thin paint.

The Best Car on The Road
By aw

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my father this last year and I love it. It has been taken care of and drives and looks just like it did when it was new. If you are looking for the most bang for your buck the Taurus is the right car for you.

I like the lines, color, wheels, and overall engine performance. The sort of performance my 24 valve delivers is awesome!

Ford is only making the Taurus in '06 for rental car & fleet service companies. I wish the image was a little better so they could keep selling them.

Good car for less money.
By Jack White

2000 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

The ride and handling for the price was much much more than I had anticipated. The mileage is over 30 on the highway and about 22 in the city with the air conditioning going most of the time in Florida. The mileage is actually better now at 105,000 miles than it was at 20,000 miles. The room inside is very generous. The look and paint is excellent even 6 years later. The depreciation is average for an American car so for the money a used 2000 Taurus is a good buy in my mind. The problems over the years were less than average for an American car also.

The ride and the handling is very good for an American car. Visibility and generous interior. Paint is excellent.

Better transmission would be nice and would have gotten better scores from me.

Good, but junk
By Ken

2000 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan

This is a powerful car. Fun to drive. Took it from Wisconsin to Arizona with no problems. But ... this thing is junk. I've had to put so much money into this thing. Brakes, fuel injectors, air conditioning, tie rods, steering column, had it in for transmissions problems 5 TIMES, engine noise (dealer cant find the problem). As soon as I hit 75,000 miles, WHEN THE WARRANTY WAS UP, the front end started making noise. Oh also, the steering makes a loud squeaking noise. Typical Ford product. Nice car, if you have the money for regular maintenance. By the way i only have 75,000 miles on it. My Chevy has 182,000 miles with no major problems.

Love the power.

Make it so it can actually last!