Used 1999 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Lots of Miles
By Keith

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon

I bought my 1999 Ford Taurus SE wagon in 2001 as a lease turn in. The car has never failed me. Only tires, brakes,fluids and filters have been replaced. The car bought with 29,000 miles on it for 11 grand, now has 208,000 miles on it. The tailgate is starting to rust. I hate the fact that Ford killed this car off. I would buy another one in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact, I am looking for a 2004 Sable now to replace my Taurus. The car does nothing exceptional, but everything well. It has never broken down, never been on a tow truck. The power locks have just quit on me, but for a car with 208,000 miles on it and no payment for three years, I say thank's very much, Ford Motor Co.

Steer Clear
By Tom

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

Bought this in 2000 with about 24,000 miles. Sporty, with 24V V-6, alloy wheels, spoiler. This car has been plagued with electrical problems including wipers that periodically turn on by themselves, power locks don't work, power window doesn't work. It started using oil at about 50k miles despite changing it every 3- 4k miles and no hard driving. Gas mileage is poor for a mid-sized V6 (worse than our V6 Camry and V6 minivan). The rack & pinion steering had to be replaced at about 40k miles. Has the upgraded stereo with CD changer which sounds excellent. Overall the car looks nice and is fun to drive, but the reliability is poor. I am buying Japanese from now on.

Stereo is excellent, the engine is fairly powerful, overall car looks good with alloy wheels and spoiler.

Improve quality overall, especially electrical.

Weak Transmissions
By Dan

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I adopted the car from my mom which she bought it brand new. She always had it serviced by Ford for everything. The design of the front rotors are under spec for the car. Ford should have used bigger rotors. The rotors would warp very easy and would have to be turned or replaced. This is with factory rotors and good after market ones. The transmissions are known for problems with these cars. The trans oil pump failed when the pin broke and the differential had to be replaced. This is Ford short cutting the transmissions. Like I said, this is a known problem. The 3.0 Duratec motors are pretty strong, but a real pain to get to the back plugs, you have to remove the intake to get access.

Love the room in the interior and the trunk. Duratec engine has plenty of power.

Gas mileage, transmissions, front brakes. Headlight design could have been better for brighter lights.

Mechanics dream
By Rick

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

What an absolute nightmare. The repair costs have exceeded the price i paid for this pile of crap. I have had to replace the hub and bearings THREE times, had to fix air conditioning and now the heater core is not working due to a leak. Oil pan, of all things, rusted out and was replaced. Water pump was replaced. Engine gaskets replaced. Transmission was replaced at 150km's. The only thing that works all the time is the check engine light. The wipers are work well, however they turn on randomly, making me look like a fool on clear and sunny days. I am currently shopping for a new vehicle, but i will NEVER purchase a FORD again. I'd rather buy a horse or a bus pass.

The wipers are great for a laugh. Check engine light performs flawlessly.

Should be equiped with a self-destruct button.

Knocking on Wood
By Caira

1999 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car a week ago, and I hope this car is very reliable for me. So far my mechanic checked it out and said it is a good car for only $2,400 with 91K miles on it. So far it rides good, I like the sound of it when you floor it has a nice little roar to the engine. I get 20 mph in the city I havent took it on a long trip yet, so this weekend I'll see how the mph is on the highway.

Very roomy, and big trunk, nice rev sound when flooring it, feel safe.

I think the gas could be better, and a CD player should have been standard so far hopefully that's all I have to complain about.