Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Decent car, but hard to repair
By Perry Reed

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The SHO is a fun-to-drive vehicle. Although the ride is somewhat harsh, it handles well and has more than adequate power. Mileage is decent for a car with this much power. The interior is well-laid out and the controls are easy to reach. The car is well-optioned, and includes climate control, which is nice to have. My major concern is the poor camshaft design, which really ruined the owning experience of this vehicle for me. Also, they could have made sure that parts are more readily available. For example, the electronically-controlled suspension has unique, expensive struts. They would have been well- advised to update the V6 from the previous SHO's rather than go with a new V8.

The drivetrain is the strength of the car. Ride is comfortable on long trips. A ton of optional equipment. Sound system is one of the best I have heard in a stock auto.

Where Ford really messed up is the splined camshaft sprocket. When mine failed at 46K miles, it caused $2100 worth of damage and took 7 weeks to repair. Parts are hard to come by (struts), and repairs that are straight-forward on other cars are difficult on this one: the spark plugs took 4 hours!

Not what we were hoping for...
By JennS

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Ford hurt my feelings with this car. Have had lots of trouble with my Taurus. Thought it would be a nice, economy car with a long, worry-free life. Wrong! Lots of little annoying problems, like the door ajar switches sticking and making the lights stay on, numerous sensor problems, rotors, etc. Replaced the head and gasket at 80,000, radiator has "gunk" in it even after numerous flushes/cleanings. Can hear the "water" running when you turn. Now it is missing, again, after replacing spark plugs/wires 3 different times. Afraid the transmission will go any day. Other than that, I like to drive it and it is a comfortable ride. Just wish it was more dependable.

Radio, interior, roomy trunk.

Transmission, overall mechanical, door switches.

My Taurus
By mccamp

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Although car had been used as a dealer demo, I have found it to be reliable, comfortable, good mileage and an all around excellent buy. The interior has held up, the exterior has done very good and the handling is great. I don't speed or drive recklessly but do travel. I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and believe that has a lot to do with its longevity. It is comfortable, I appreciate the electric seats being a shorter person. I find the adjustable steering wheel an added bonus. The "lumbar" on the driver seat is great! The electric seat is great for short legged people. Electric mirrors a REAL plus when big trucks pull too close - shine lights back at them from mirrors.

I use the speed control ALL the time, Every woman driving alone needs auto door/window locks. No problems like I did other makes. Impressed with the interior but there are no kids to give it hard wear and tear. I do have dogs ride it. Electric seat & steering wheel adjustments a plus for short people like me.

I wish the seats folded down flatter, that the trunk was easier for us older folks to get things into without lifting over the lip of the trunk. I didn't care for the color but that doesn't have anything to do with the manufacturing.

97 Ford Taurus trash!

since! Nice car, BUT transmission goes
out at 40K as per transmissions shops
used to say it was the #1 car in for a
new transmission. Brakes notorious for
going out at the same time as well as a
# of other expensive mechanical
problems. Dealership was very
irresponsible and tried to always shrug
off warranty responsibilities as well
as recall which cost me a 30 day rental
car. Stabilizer bars bent and dealer
said they would cover it under warranty
if their was no sign of them hitting
any object. When they realized no sign
of them being hit by an accident etc..
they then refused to cover it. I bet
FORD is now begging.

Style, smooth and comfortable.

Most Mechanical parts especially the Trani..

Started when I bought it....
By TashaKathryn

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

When I bought the vehicle, I thought i
had found the one. WRONG. I have
replaced brakes 6 times and rotors 3
times. Inside light has a major problem
and will sometimes not turn off. Also
windows leak air. Transmissn started
slipping at 90k and is now about to die
@ 119k. The car is very comfortable and
pretty durable, but I am disappointed
in the maintence.

Comfortable seats that adjust. Roomy and the air works GREAT!!!

Remodel transmission and improve features.