Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Norbeck's 97' SHO
By Robert Norbeck

1997 Ford Taurus SHO 4dr Sedan

The experience you get while driving is great. I usually get tired with a vehicle after two years. I'll have this car for three in approximately three month's and I haven't gotten tired with it yet and I don't think I ever will. This car is a keeper!

There really isn't anything that I don't like. Other then I can't find a new pump for the driver's seat.

The only problem I have other then normal wear and tear items is that the driver seat has an air pump built in for more support while driving. My pump still works put the fitting broke off where the line attaches. You can no longer find the pump in order to fix it. The pump should have been made better.

I think we had a lemon.
By denise

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

The Taurus has a great ride and is comfortable. We had many problems with the transmission beginning at 60,000 miles. It's ultimate demise came when the catalytic converter went bad on us at 70,000 miles. We drove the car until it finally stopped at 85,000 miles.

Comfortable ride and nice sound system.

Love this car
By David

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

This car has been a super purchase. It fits a family of 5 (me, wife, 3 kids) and luggage in the back or on top. I can even separate the kids and put some in the back rumble seat to keep them quiet and at peace. The added tow package has made towing a pop-up camper or small trailer easy and made this vehicle even more flexible. SUPER gas mileage and great reliability. The only challenge has been meeting the VERY strict NY state emissions standards with the California engine, but we finally solved the emission sensor issues and life is good. I only wish it had a CD player!

Rear third row seat, luggage rack, power window locks, GREAT A/C.

CD player. More reliable door lock switch on drivers side - it's flaky (but so am i after all these years).

Don't be so hard on Taurus
By Lynn Daczyk

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This has been a good utility and trip vehicle for me. Normal maintenance. Worst problem was blowing a freeze plug at 130,000 miles and, with my not watching the temp gauge, ruined the engine. Replacement was reasonable (lucky me, on a trip!) and it's been running fine, now at 150,000. Gas mileage is 26 in the city, 30 on trips. Doesn't use oil.

My standards aren't that high; seeing I run my cars "into the ground". It handles great in winter conditions. I also love that it doesn't rust out!

Wiper fluid mechanism responsiveness.

1997
By Dan

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I like the car very well. Has good power and is comfortable. Have owned my car for almost six years, have had very little trouble with it.

The power, the handling, and most of all the dependability.

Transmission.