Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Love our Taurus
By artphelps

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Great car. Sorry it is no longer made. Had a power steering whine or moan that was due to a crack in the reservoir, low cost to fix.

Styling, I like the oval everything! Great mileage: 28 MPG highway! Recommend 205-75R15 tires for a smooth ride.

Just Say No!
By hrfletch

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I thought I got a great deal on this car. Boy, was I wrong, sensor in tranny went out within 3 weeks of purchase. I've spent more on this car than I purchased it for. I heard bad things about Fords before, now I understand why. Everything seems to be set up to cost us more money and put more in Ford's pocket? Had electrical fire with it the other day for no apparent reason. The air conditioner just shut off and it started smoking under the hood. The relay fuse melted and fried the wires and component that the fuse plugs in to. I wish I would've headed advice of friends. This car should have been made more reliable. Ford didn't do a good job on this one. Parts are expensive and are not easily accessible when repairing.

Spacious trunk, nice space inside. Position of cruise control (on steering wheel)

Transmission and all related sensors. Multiple electrical problems. Still can't figure out what's causing air conditioner problems. Door ajar sensor. Power steering. Two bad window motors. Horrible gas mileage. Bad location of radiator. Not a reliable car.

Rust Bucket
By Brian Rogers

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for five years. It has 104,000 miles on it. Had to replace camshaft position sensor. Other problems include two wheel bearing replacements at 60,000 miles, warped rotors, replaced power steering pump at 98,000. Worst problem if you live in the northeast. The plastic rocker panel trim holds the salt and water against the body along the bottom below the doors. The metal is completely eaten away, and now the car cannot be lifted on an automobile lift.

Taurus GL
By Greg

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I've owned. Proper maintenance and care goes a long ways, I bought this car with 51,000 miles on it and now have almost 150,000 on it. I haven't done much to it except proper maintenance like regular oil changes, tire rotation, cooling and tranny flushing, and brakes. I live in a cold weather climate and has never failed at starting and it never gets plugged in. Regular maintenance on any car will go a long ways.

Body hasn't rusted, roomy car for a big guy, back seats flip down, excellent acceleration, motor is quiet.

overall opinion
By ford taurus

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first Ford. Mechanically, it is the best car I have owned. Except for emission control repairs, the car has never been in the shop. I replaced the steering stabilizers at 128,000 miles and the idler pulley at 136,500 myself.

Mechanically sound.

Dashboard/control panel separation immediately in front of steering wheel due to excessive heat from sunlight.