Used 1997 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

So Far, So Good....
By Evan

1997 Ford Taurus G 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Car from my mother who owned it since 2001. Before this though I drove the car on a somewhat regular basis, when I owned a 1995 Mitsubishi Galant. This is my second Taurus (the first was a 1992 GL 3.8 Essex). I like that this body style really opened the interior up. The rear has so much room for passengers and cargo and its a sedan! Im am tall and am most comfortable. The 3.0 vulcan doesnt produce as much torque as the 3.8 did, which is a downer considering how heavy this baby is, but it still has ample passing power and can merge into traffic on the freeway. Transmission can be fumbly at moderate speeds so I try to go easy on it. Design still looks good after 13 years.

Interior room, Interior materials are so much improved over gen I AND II. No exposed screws in door panels and pillar cover. Flip fold console is cool. Speakers could be better, but enjoy having little ones inside of the sideview mirror panels. Ford has better designers than GM/Chrysler hands down.

Transmisson seems indecisive and delicate. A slow shifter indeed. Powertrain is decent, but could use some tweaks here and there. Why climate controls and radio in same panel. Aftermarket stereo replacement will be a big pain in the gazoo!

I stole it!!
By MasterSmeat

1997 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought a 1997 Taurus LX sedan for my mom. She lives in TX, and I live in CA. Her truck recently bit the dust and she was in bad need of a car but with very little money. I stumbled upon this beauty on Craig's List, and for $400 I had to check it out. The guy told me it would over heat, so I figured that it could only be a few things. Worst case scenario, the radiator is only $84 from rockauto.com. So, I limped it home and started with the cheapest parts first, thermostat, flush, and finally a water pump. So, with two days hard work, $500 and lots of grease and grime, my mom's got a very strong and reliable car which I drove 1300 miles to her without a hiccup!

This one I just got lucky on. I found a receipt in the glove box for a transmission rebuild less than two years ago.

Easier access to the thermostat on the DOHC models!!

Nice When It Runs
By John

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought this 97' Fully loaded taurus gl 22months ago and since it has been one problem after the next, literally. When I purchased the car it needed a muffler and welding done to the holi headders. A couple months later a poppin noise came from the passenger front end, a month or two later I replaced the half shaft. A month later a noise came from the front end again, wheel bearings and tie rod, 170000 miles. A couple months later the car revedded high as I accelerated, trans range sensor, 178k. 7k later the alter and trans gave. Then the waterpump and serp. belt. Last month the coolant resovoir and upper/lower intake gaskets were replaced. Leaks coolant on and off, y? 4 studs broke also, y?

Positioning of radio, drivers seat, steering wheel, cruise control, brakes great, accelerates ok, economical, easy to work on, speakers excellent, no static on full volume and very loud, great paint, glossy and thick.

Higher quality parts, transmission needs modifications, if the mechanical quality was as good as the speakers and accessories which work this would be amongst my favs of affordable sedans. Will never buy a new ford because of their refusal to own up to their manufacturing error on transmission.

Seems good so far
By Leon

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I had the car for about a month. Bought it from an elderly lady. Took excellent care of it. Rides very smooth and have no problems and has a quick V6.

I like the trunk release from the remote goes all the way up. Also the turn signal on the side bumper.

Better gas mileage and bigger headrest

Not Bad
By jman

1997 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

Had the car for three years then started to have few problems like head gaskets, hinges for back window etc. and was not the car we had.

A/C, MPG, seats