Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Taurus not too user freindly.
By Jim

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Taurus not bad riding, except for exterior noise that dealer or Ford wouldn't address. Problems with noisy front end had to bushings replaced twice. Brakes wore out quick and never were smooth after dealer replaced. Car became second car quick. Had 1987 Ford Taurus much better quality. Wouldn't buy again.

Smooth but noisy ride.

Bigger trunk, replace rubber around windows with quieter replacements. Better design of dash area. Make replacing radiator easier. Have to take front end off to get at.

Why I will go back to buying Honda's
By Ira

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

My first mistake was selling my 1991 Honda Accord because I got a 'great' deal on this new Taurus. The car has been great if you are into high maintenance. Let's see: two transmissions, numerous electrical and brake problems, a few starters, a/c heat problems, fuel problems ... you name it and it's broken.

I paid cash for the car.

Outsource the design, engineering and build of the car to Honda or Toyota. In other words buy an Accord or Camry unless you are in love with car repair.

Taurus Wagon
By jim thomas

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

Bought the car use with 40,000 miles. Now, it is over 100,000 ... other than tires and brakes, not a single repair bill. I never change the oil, or check any fluids. Plus, I only paid 4K.

Never again
By rocq

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

Didn't do my homework, Ford would not replace the pawl pin in the transmission because it was a month over even warranty though the car only had 30,000 kms at the time. Rack and pinion faulty, Ford would not fix. Transmission replaced for at 120,000 kms for $2,600, no warranty. Emission pump failed - $800. Have spent over $1,000 on AC repairs and going in again or maybe I will just call a scrap dealer instead.

Not Impressed
By Stonemannn

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 1998. Ran well for a few years. A transmission part needed replacement at about 70,000 miles. Now I have a fluctuating temp gauge and don't even want to know where that is taking me repair-wise. I won't buy another Ford.

Got me where I needed to go.

Stop making them or stand behind them better.