Used 1996 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

168K 96 GL
By Russell Wickham

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 96 Taurus GL from an individual when it had 64K miles on it, and drove it for five years and 104K miles. During that time, I've had a few problems, namely the cam position sensor, the EGR valve, two window switches, and the transmission. First the 4th gear shift solenoid failed, and the transmission shop said it needed a full rebuild because the part is very hard to get to. That cost $1500. Two weeks ago the torque converter seal fail, draining all the fluid out of the converter and leaving us stranded. Aside from that, it's been a good car.

Decent fuel economy, and fairly roomy interior.

The front seat! Not comfortable for trips more than a half hour. Rear seat head room. Steep rake on the truck lid cuts into trunk room.

No worries
By maryann

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

One owner, bought it for $15,000 in 96 and paid for it in two years, so it owes me nothing. Only problem, door handle at 75,000. Never used dealer for service, learned lesson with my earlier Honda. Have a great mechanic who taught me how to care for it. Change oil religiously at 3,000 and change transmission fluid in winter. Never in a garage. Great in snow & weather, even gotten up dirt roads. Cross country no problem. Boring, in that never worry driving and no payments while others busy paying for their new expensive cars. Husband's 03 saved his life in a head on at 50mph when belts & bags deployed. It was totaled, he was fine. Other car driver had leg & chest injuries. Replaced his with '04.

Safety, handling, reliability, comfort, price lots of room while not a gas guzzler. Great value. Gets 28-30mpg on the highway; less in stop and go. Access for car seats easy. Parents kids, grandparent, pets, luggage, all fit. This trauma RN & accountant very pleased.

Rear window limits vision. Big blind spot. Road noise. In newer models poor audio. Love my car. I gather transmission has been problem for people so Ford should fix. Very sad it's being discontinued. I'll replace mine when the time comes with a lightly used Taurus.

Very Good Family Sedan
By Chris

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this vehicle for 3 years. I purchased it with 112k, it now has 160k. Prior to me owning it was a rental car and work vehicle, and was involved in at least 2 accidents. 150k rear struts were replaced, 158k the original alternator replaced, 160k master brake cylinder. The DPFE sensor was replaced about 3 times, this causes the nagging check engine light 90% of the time. The 24v Duratec V6 is plenty powerful, and is still powerful compared to many newer vehicles. 0-60 is listed in the mid 8's, however I have seen it as low as 7. Highway acceleration is excellent, and even when compared to a 2000 and up BMW 328, Audio A6, Accord V6, it still hangs in the crowd.

Comfort, tilting headrests, ABS, pickup and passing power, safety, handling, variable power steering (less chance of overcorrection at high speeds). Looks (very unique - Jaguar and RX7 blend). Dual exhaust, engine growl when pushed, durability, reliability. parts inexpensive, online clubs!

All problems were fixed by 2000 except for the DPFE sensor. Improve gas mileage, offer a 5 speed.

purrs like a kitten
By strungkitten

1996 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Wagon

My last car was an Escort and I really loved it. That is, until I started driving my Taurus. The vision is great. The most comfortable seats yet. Even being 10 years old it looks stylish. I also got a very good buy. I am a very pleased Taurus driver.

The console is great. I use a LARGE insulated cup that finally has a place to sit. The tilt steering and those very comfortable seats and no shifting.

I've not had it long enough to answer.

Long-term Taurus
By Snake Charmer

1996 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Car was issued to me as a company car in 1995. Aside from the catfish front end, it looked pretty good. The interior was comfortable, and everything was a bit better than expected. My ratings are based on this being a Taurus, not my Corvette. The sample defects were fixed fast (wind noise, soft shifts), and the car has been safe and dependable for 120k miles so far. Total of about $1200 in unscheduled maintenance, far better than my Hondas or Mazdas. In fact, overheating in the last Honda cost that much, and never was fixed. Good, cheap transport for a long time. Teenager drives it now, and doesn't hate it (he'd rather drive the Vette).

Ease of entry, seating positions, visibility, relative power. When new, the integrated phone was pretty cool, but dated now. Economy was even pretty good for its era, and it still gets 30MPG on highway drives.

I have a 2006 Taurus now, and they didn't improve on the original. Only weak link was the transmission, and it was burnt out as a service vehicle in city driving (30k in first year at average 10 MPH).