Used 1995 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

She's been a good girl
By M.J. Snyder

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my green '95 at the dealership I worked at in college. We went back and forth from Penn State a lot and she has always been good. I have 16" wheels from a 2002, and clear headlights from an LX, big improvement; she looks great, minimal problems (starter, radiator, little trim pieces). I lease a 2004 Sable but won't give up the '95, she handles great, decent power, and looks new as can be; it is one of the best looking '95's you'll see running around. Bought it with 45,000 miles from my uncle, now has about 85,000. I just put in good Pioneer Speakers and Sony Headunit, the stereo sounds better than my Sable. I LOVE HER!

Great handling, easy to manuever, I love the style, much better than the '96 bubble, decent power but awesome 28 mpg.

3.0 Vulcan could use more low end power, transmission a little more refined (Camry's of the time were smooth) but I still love her.

Always runs, but always has many problems
By rambo76098

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

This car which I bought with 112,000 miles on it, has about 119,000 in 5 months and since then I had to flush all fluids, change stereo, previous owner blew all speakers, new exhaust, master cyllinder and brake booster. Car now needs complete rear brake system overhaul, a radiator, door seals, plugs and wires, headlight covers (sun damaged plastic), a door lock motor, headlight and seatbelt dinger, a battery, tires, and soon will need rotors and pads in front as well as alternator, fuel, water and power steering pump acting up. Car has always started but does not ever function right. Gas mileage is horrible.

Cheap, runs, safety in a crash, somewhat comfortable even for a 6'6" guy, relatively good torque for a 3L, engine never dies although everything else will.

Well some quality would be nice, Ford can't even make my speedometer be correct; cops checked it for me, inconsistent under 40 MPH. Engine fans have 5 recalls for causing engine to catch on fire. Transmission that don't clunk and miss gears, decent gas milage for a small engine (about 17-19 mpg even on highway).

Head Gasket Problem
By Head Gaskets!

1995 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan

My very first car. Power everything and I thought it was great. Until I found out I had the 3.8 engine with the head gasket problem! Was a great car until that started acting up. Had to put rear brakes and tires into it and now it looks like it needs shocks or struts because it is terrible going over pot holes and speed bumps. If you buy a Taurus make sure it is not a 3.8 engine between 1994-1999 in Taurus, Windstar, Thunderbird, and some other cars Ford has made.

Buttons on dash, looks, power, alloys, power everything.

Engine is a poor design and is dangerous, seats should be built to take wear.

This was my baby
By sheesha

I bought my Ford Taurus very slightly
used in 1995, from a rental car agency.
I was 19, and this car was awesome.
Lots of power under the hood, all the
nice power features, roomy for friends,
and a nice size trunk. It's now 2004,
I'm 28, and ready for a change. This
car has been extremely reliable, until
this year. Before now, I never ran into
any problems, and I got my money's worth
at $10,000, 9 years ago. This year
I've put at least $1200 in brakes, new
radiator, and a battery. Not bad, since
it's only needed minor work a few times
in the past. I think it would be
a reliable used car for others, and
could last quite a bit longer.

Power everything, roominess, power under the hood and pick-up. She's not as good as it used to be, I can feel the age catching up to her. But she has been an awesome car.

loved until recently
By pdl2

1995 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

bought used in 97 with 36k on it.
currently 144k. until recently I loved
it. the speedometer went out around
50k...works up to around 65mph. no
problems till 2002 fuel pump went out.
however just replaced radiator,
individual window switches went out
several months ago...and when it shifts
into second gear...sometimes I hear a
scraping sound. I had hoped with it's
performance initially it would last
longer....as Im startign to look for
another car now. Hoping to get it traded
in before transmission goes out. I would
still buy another if I could find low
mileagle. love the 3.0 engine though I
have a rear seal that is leaking

comfort, interior design lots of space

a little to late....but speedometer cup holder fuel mileage