Used 1993 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Ford Taurus
By Robert

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought the GL model with a 3.8 L engine in fall of 1993. It has low mileage 66K with a history of repair problems. Replaced radiator, AC system. $1200 repair. Recently replaced the engine head gasket. The 3.8 has an aluminum head that warps and ruins the gasket. This problem develops at about 60k or six years on this engine. The replacement gasket is now of better quality being able to withstand the heat and flexing of the engine head. Be prepared to spend about $1500 for this repair. The steering does not stay in alignment and has had numerous alignments. Never had an accident. The fuel pump bearing is noisy and will eventually need replacement. Avoid the 3.8 L engine.

Seating, comfort, handling, engine power.

Better testing and quality control.

love it
By Nick

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1993 Taurus GL in September of 2008 from my friends grandma. The car had only 76,000 miles on it. They had a power steering line replaced before I bought it but nothing prior except oil changes. I have had to replace the rack and pinion, and the starter, but other than that its just been routine maintenance. It has the 3.8 liter engine which I love though it's sometimes difficult to work on due to size. It now has 91,000 miles on it and I still drive it on road trips and it has always done fine. It gets 21 miles to the gallon city driving!!

The big engine, interior room, body design, could have bought a newer one but i love that body style!

better cup holders, more room under hood, changing the rear spark plugs isn't very fun!

16 years and counting
By fasteddie

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

We bought this wagon new, have used primarily for hauling kids back & forth to college, vacations, and moving furniture & appliances. Gets great fuel mileage, to 30 mpg on highway, is really roomy, has been very reliable, altho when we purchased it we got the extended 60k mile warranty and were glad we did (fuel pump, radiator, power steering). We will keep it till it falls apart, as this size of wagon no longer domestically produced. Very good in snow, mountains. We also own a '93 sedan we bought in '97, can't complain about that one either.

Carrying capacity is ideal. Great gas mileage and reliable.

Ford should make more wagons. SUVs & minivans aren't the same.

not bad, had worse
By emc818

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1993 taurus gl in august 07 for $950. Immediately replaced all 3 motor mounts. The car leaks oil from somewhere on the passenger side and burns off the catalytic converter, hence the nickname Smokey. Also the temperature gauge has a mind of it's own, but has never overheated. Other than that, not a bad car. just basic a to b transportation. would NOT take it on a long trip, just doesn't seem THAT reliable.

Comfy seats, smooth ride, modest acceleration.

Just give me something different.

Been very good to me
By TaurusMan

1993 Ford Taurus GL 4dr Wagon

I owned this wagon for 6 yrs and towed with it and took it on many trips. Besides regular maintenance the car performed admirably. I'm very impressed. When I sold it it had over 158K mi on it and still running strong with all systems working well. It's good in the snow too. I recommend the car for anyone looking for a fun to drive reliable car.

Steady performance, towing capacity. Quiet and smooth running. I recommend the 3.0 liter engine. Better history.

I never had to do the transmission but bad replacement desire. Chassis has to be removed to get at tranny.