Used 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL Wagon Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Taurus X model:

Why is Ford killing it?
By Dilin

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We replaced or 2005 Dodge Durango with the "T Rex" in April of 2008. we have loved it ever since. It has done nothing but impress us and our neihbors since we got it, and we continue to get comments on its classy styling, which several people have mistaken it for an Audi station wagon. The 3.5L V6 is more than adequate for the Taurus X and it accelerates strongly and has plenty of reserve power. The interior is made of high quality plastics and the transmission shifts very smoothly. Overall it is a very impressive vehicle for the price and am very happy we chose this over the Volvo V70.

engine; interior/exterior design; interior materials; versatility

make the 2nd row easier to fold (latch gets stuck sometimes)

Eh...It's OK
By Rob

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this one for just over a year now. It kept stalling at low speeds. The dealer kept saying it was a calibration issue. We took it in 3 times for it to be properly calibrated. The Continental Touring tires that came OEM are bald at 14000 miles. They only come with a 12 month 12000 mile warranty and trust me...they won't last much longer than that. I would think after paying this much for a car that I could get some better OEM tires that I wouldn't have to replace in one year. The transmission is just plain goofy. It jumps all over the place at the wrong times. The front bumper is starting to come off. Dealer doesn't know why, but will try to fix it. Overall, the car is just..OK

Satellite radio

Better OEM tires. Continental stinks.

Love the T-Rex
By IMFletch

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We sold a wonderful Saab wagon because we needed more room after the birth of our second child. Having never owned a domestic car, we were reluctant to even consider the Taurus X, but the specs - interior room, decent fuel economy, safety - were compelling, particularly at this price point. After living with it (admittedly a short time), I am blown away. It's solid as a rock, with great build quality, a very spacious interior w/o being huge outside, good ride/handling balance, amazing seating flexibilty. Leather quality is outstanding, and there are numerous thoughtful touches, such as the covered storage bin atop the dash. Not as much fun to drive as the Saab turbo, but we're thrilled.

2+2+2 seating arrangement; surprising fit/finish/paint quality; comfortable leather seats; I actually like the exterior styling. The ergonomic layout - window switches, stereo, AC controls - is excellent. Tons of storage space, both large and small, which the Saab greatly lacked.

Needs a telescoping steering wheel for optimal driving position. I *hate* the microwave oven-style digits on the stereo/HVAC displays - Ford must know this because they're phasing these out in other models. Some hard plastic interior pieces. Partial power driver's seat on the SEL is a downer.

Overall a good family vehicle.
By Susan

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I swore I would never be an M&M, a Minivan Mom). This vehicle kinda looks like a station wagon. Not a big fan, but the chrome helps. I own a 2000 Ford Taurus sedan. I was set on buying another one until I saw the Taurus-X. 2 problems so far. The first is the knocking sound that comes from the engine. I've been told that this is normal. The second is the manual latches on the seats. I've had nothing but problems w/the 2nd row driver side. It is very difficult to release and does not operate properly. They have not fixed or replaced the seat. I think they are waiting for my warrantly to run out. Other owners have had the same issues. I'm hoping enough people will complain to prompt a recall.

7 passenger seating

Need to consider changing seat latches. Cross Over Bars would be nice. Customer Service to recognize issues that owners are having and rectify the problems.

Love this vehicle
By kimstigers

2008 Ford Taurus X Wagon SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We are still new to this car, but so far loving it. We are impressed with the versality as well as the comfort of the ride. Accelerates very quickly and you don't feel how fast you are going.

Love the third row seating. Leather is very appealing.

None really - at least not yet.