Used 2010 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Better Than Expected
By Don

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a smaller truck for use on homestead. We have an Expedition but it is not ideal for work intended. Power from the 4.0 L is good. Averaged 22 mpg on 800 mile trip at 75 mph. Mixed driving around area and average around 18 mpg.still a lot better than the Expedition. In the past I have had full size diesels, V-8s and one B-2000 Mazda (208,000 miles). This truck performs as well and gets the job required done with no problems.

Fit and Finish Excellent, Good Power, Good Mileage. Love the Sirius radio.

More storage in the cab.

Not as bad as they say!
By JohnRangerboy

2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a small 4 cyl truck with auto transmission. I bought on price and features, 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 speed auto, air, tow package, abs, traction and stability control all standard on my Ranger. On Tacoma air was extra and only drum rear brakes, Colorado also rear drum brakes. So far I've clocked 7,000 miles, average gas mileage is 23 mpg since new. Best gas mileage was 29 mpg on extended trip on the freeway. Handling feels very secure and traction control in the snow/ice really worked well-that was my main concern with a light weight rear drive truck. I don't carry very heavy loads but middling load doesn't seem to bother ride/handling acceleration.(although the preselect header says 5M I have 5A..

It is not as bad as all the reviews would indicate, the truck is really well equipped for the money. 5 speed auto is great, really helps acceleration in traffic, neither Tacoma or Colorado had 5 speed autos and were sluggish by comparison even though they had bigger engines.

If you want improvements, spend more money, the dealer added cruise and bed liner to get me to close deal. For a basic workaday pickup that can run comfortably on the freeway and is easy to handle/park in town do you really want or need all the fru-fru? Radio upgrade would be nice.

Poor Gas Mileage
By Mike

2010 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since buying the truck, I have recorded every gas purchase into an excel spreadsheet. Recording price per gallon, gallons purchased, cost, date of transaction, transaction number, etc. Then calcing mileage of last tank of gas & over all mileage. My overall mileage is very slightly over 16 MPG. I do not drive the vehicle hard and my driving is a mix of highway & city. When I have driven a full tank of almost all highway I only got 15.871 MPG.

Simple truck with some creature comforts. And it doesn't take up the whole garage.

Better gas mileage.

Not bad for an old body!
By Gonzo

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

In the past 5 years I have owned 3 trucks, a Honda Ridgeline, a Nissan Frontier and the new Ford Ranger. The Ridgeline and the Frontiers were both 6 cyl and gas guzzlers. I don't tow, so I wanted better mileage and a 4 cyl was the one I needed. I settled for the Ranger because I can get it pretty much with everything I want on the XLT model. It is a great small/compact truck and I like this. Mileage is very good and the 4 cyl has enough power for my needs. I was getting 14 MPG's on the Ridgeline and 15 MPG on the Frontier. I get way over 24 in the city with the Ranger and so far almost 30 on the highway. Nice truck for the price.

Brakes, smaller size, economical 4 cyl engine, good ergonomics, reliable, built strong to last.

Would like to have auto locking doors.

Old sheetmetal, new tech..Love it
By Lenny

2010 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Only had the truck for 2 weeks, so can't comment on reliability. Had an 05 Colorado CC Z71 2WD(poor mileage, jolting ride) an 08 Frontier V6 ext cab(very poor mileage). Got the XLT for the options and the 2.3/5M for mileage. Am very pleased with the ride(much better than Colorado/not quite as good as Frontier)Fit and finish are as good as previous trucks. Brakes(4 wheel disc) are on par with others. Power and acceleration are down from others, but is acceptable.The mileage is light years ahead of others, about 10 MPG better than both previous city and highway. I only tow light loads(flat boat/utility tlr), eng. easily handles Based on build quality, ride, mileage. I highly recommend

Sirius radio, 4 wheel disc brakes, Stability control, leather wrapped wheel, fog lights. GAS MILEAGE

Upgrade styling and keep making them