Used 2008 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

The best small truck PERIOD
By jtf

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second ranger. There are 2 others rangers my family has (93&98).These trucks are tough and very reliable. The 2.3 DOHC and 5 spd are great choice 24mpg city and 27 highway and plenty of power( 3rd gear wheel spin). The other trucks have no rust and one has over 200,000 miles. I would have kept my 2001 ranger but I like the added interior space of the supercab.You can't buy a better small truck for the money... period

Straight forward design. reliable drive train. Good AC

Maybe put the 2.5 DOHC in. little more space behind the front seats. better wheel design (chrome wheels collect dirt)

good truck
By Pat Bernier

2008 Ford Ranger SPORT 4dr SuperCab Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

MY Ranger is by far the most reliable new vehicle I have ever owned. Yes its dated and yes its much smaller than all other makes but lets face it most people under utilize their big trucks. I can pull over 6000lbs or throw a 4 wheeler in the back with no issues and my truck payment is only 460$ per month and cheep insurance to boot. I love my Ranger and would recommend one to anyone looking for a good truck that is inexpensive to own

5 speed auto simple dash design

more padding on seats

The only compact left, and better for it
By BR

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new vehicle, my first four cylinder, and my first stick shift. I made the right choice. I bought the truck because of what it was, basic, inexpensive, and frugal. The turn signal stalk split at the mold seam at 12,000 miles, but that's not a big deal. It's 2wd but it will make it through deep mud, just don't stop. I've got a K&N filer and a Flowmaster exhaust installed which added very usable low/mid range power. I'm not a Ford guy, I grew up in a GM household. This little truck grows on you, my dad even likes it. Not bad for an old design is it?

Decent power, ergonomics are spot on, handles curves better than it has a right to.

All season light truck tires as standard equipment on 4-cylinder models, not passenger car tires.

Ford Ranger 2008 Reg Cab 2W 6cyl
By Houston

2008 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Style is thick, brawny, efficient and descendant of the bull dog. Basic model does the job on hauling furniture, plants, groceries. wood, sod, bricks. No space is wasted Recommend that you get the electrical windows option; I installed after market windows and remote door locks and wished I had purchased the factory options with Ford. You should also protect your investment and get bedliner with Ford logo. The white paint is beautiful- like porcelein and reflects the 100 degree southern heat. For the low price, a very reliable and satisfactory long term investment. The MPG is really comparable to other 6 cylinder trucks as well as luxury cars! So you are in the ballpark.

Air Conditioning does the job in the closed regular cab-I feel real protected from the heat. The seats are simple grey leather imitation. Seats do not get hot and are roomy enough and solid-does the job like the rest. Close your eyes and you will not know if you are in an SUV or Lexus!

You need to up the basic price with options since they are necessary by today's standards. Remote window locks electrical windows, stereo are a must. You must get the best tires, since trucks work hard and are driven hard. The power steering does not turn easy enough for me.

Downsizing worked out!
By Norton

2008 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with Hemi & ordered my Ranger XLT 4 Banger with auto & all options. In short, I love this truck. Average 24 MPG, fun to drive and think Ford should put time & effort into the Ranger's future! I am a happy Ford Customer!

Truck is made in America, Fit & finish as well as quality is great!

Outdoor Temp Readout, Overhead Consol, better choices for rim & tire options!