Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Truck
By fenderdh69

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very solid truck, I love to drive it.

Powerful engine, 4x4.

Better fuel economy.

Inexpensive not Cheap
By JDP

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck to serve as a "chore" vehicle so I could quit carrying things back from Home Depot in the car. I bought it from one of the Ford special sales for $10,950. 4 cylinder/5 speed stick A/C and radio. Very much a base XL. As it turned out I use it everyday and it is my primary work truck/transportation. I drive from Dallas to Austin every Monday and after working my contract for the week, I drive back Friday night. I have grown to like this truck very much. I get between 26 and 30 mpg week in and week out doing 70 to 80 mph hwy. It does all I ask and when I spill a coke or knock over the fries I just hose it out when I get home. And I still haul stuff for my wife from Home Depot weekends.

I put a shell on the back and that made a big difference. Economy. General handling, once you get used to the darty steering. Reliability.

Find a way to add a little more padding in the base model seats. Slow down the steering response. A red line on the tach would be nice. Some storage space in the center arm rest would be good too.

Ford Ranger
By kyler

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It is good truck but i think that it needs more power in order to compete with the Toyota Tacoma.

Looks.

More power and better fuel consumption.

Great truck, great value.
By Grimtrek

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you need a full-size pick-up to haul big loads, then the Ford Ranger isn't for you. But if you want a fun, fuel efficient little pickup with moderate hauling ability then look no further. My Ranger gets about 24-26 mpg, in mixed highway/city driving. Being in a warm climate, I run the AC quite a bit and of course that reduces mpg. I have automatic transmission on mine and I enjoy driving this truck a lot. I would recommend this truck to a friend if they were looking for a truck that's inexpensive, looks good and is fuel efficient. This is my first Ford vehicle, but I suspect it's not going to be my last, or my last Ranger either.

True crewcab configuration and the option of a small-block V-8 would be nice. They offer a real 4-door in Mexico and South America, why not here at home?

Buy Something else
By ekarlw

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

"Minimal at best". Most irritating is that for 2005/6 Ford removed the rear wheel well splash shields to save a buck and now on wet roads the wheels throw water, road oil, spilled chemicals etc. up through the seam under the lip of the bed rail and into the bed - with a shell on the back everything inside still gets wet. Once again Ford has found it acceptable to lower the overall quality to save about three dollars in plastic. I have to wonder what other corners were cut. I remember when car makers would make improvements every year. Shifting linkage is clunky and the 4 cylinder engine vibrates more than most. Also the bed does not 'fit' the width of the 2 door cab and looks awkward.

The price was right - but you get what you pay for.

Focus on providing an economical quality product and stop 'cheapening' existing ones by de-engineering them to save a buck. My personal improvement will be to buy Japanese again.