Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Nice truck for couples
By JJJohnson

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my F150 in for the Ranger hoping to get above 20 MPG in which I barely get 19 with the 3.0. Other that than this is a nice small truck which handles well. It pulls my 14' tandem trailer with ease.

Rides as high as a full size truck for driving in pastures.

Better gas mileage. A sixth gear for the highway would accomplish that.

Yum, I like to eat tires
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my little 4 cyl. for about 10k. It has nothing but ac, spray in bedliner, and a cd player. I like the interior and the seats okay. My problem is it always eats the tires. I have the tires rotated, and the alignment check over and over and yet it still eats the inside of the front left. Ford says there is nothing wrong with it.. You get what you pay for. I want something new but my wife won't let me get anything worthwhile and we don't have much money so 10k is 10k. Stay away if you aren't poor like me.

Mileage

Build something comparable to a Toyota or at least bring back the Bronco with a rag top and I could do that

Stay away!
By Aaron

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2005 Ford Ranger was as close to being a lemon as a vehicle could get! Between the choppy, whining ride, to the rediculous plastic interior, this was definately a vehicle I regret buying. I had to take the vehicle in for service twice in the first 2 months. Once for it switching to 4WD Low on its own (and I couldn't get it out of 4WD!), the second when the inertia switch failed while I was driving at 70 on the freeway. All systems shut down: ABS, powersteering, transmission, everything! I nearly wrecked on that one. STAY AWAY FROM THE FORD RANGER!

The front end it cool looking.

Discontinue this death trap!

Edge
By Cary

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nice little truck. The only true compact truck on the market. I am a little disappointed with the acceleration of the 3.0 V6. I took it to the drag strip. 17.80 at 76 mph. The manual shifter is a little stiff, so I replaced it with a Hurst shifter. I am pleased with the gas mileage. it matched the EPA estimate.

White faced gauges, cool Sonic Blue paint.

Better transmission shifter.

Test Drive Them All
By Mediocre

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ford in 2005 when they had the employees discount promotion. When I test drove the truck things were OK. The ride was better when I bought the truck than it is now. Every once in a while there is a creaking noise from the right side when you go over something crooked. The 4.0L engine is enough to do anything I need but the interior misses with quality. The dash plastics on the drivers side don't come together right, and there are varoius rattles, squeaks, and creeks that everyone tells me are "normal operating noises"-yeah right! The 150's ride better but are too much money. Why not put that quality into the Ranger series of trucks Ford? I mean quiet is nice in a truck too.

Engine. Nice power and giddy up! Tranny shifts smooth, sometimes rough. Style. Mags are nice, design is OK.

Overhaul the style of the truck. Seems the interior and exterior hasn't changed that much in 10 years. Better quality on interior items. Quiet up the cab for wind noise and block out exterior noise. Quieter ride would be nice.