Used 2005 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Not bad for a cheap little truck
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Fleet 4WD Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck on a lease for $225/month and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. It's no luxury auto, pretty boxy and not a lot of acceleration, but it serves a purpose.

Very reliable, hasn't been in the shop once in almost 4 years.

Pay extra for the extended cab. This model has absolutely no extra space. The back of your head rests against the rear window. I thought a 4-cylindar would get better gas mileage. I get about 24 mpg.

Have you driven a Ford lately?
By Ford Tough?

2005 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical to buy a Ford at first, but the salesman convinced me that Fords are built as well if not better than ever.and for the first "3 years or 36000 miles" we loved our truck. Got lots of compliments and it was fun to drive, other than the squeeky brakes. Then mile 36001 came along. Alternator, wheel hub. I do not abuse my truck. It is kept clean and has only been off road 2 or 3 times. I didn't think alternators went bad anymore. Not only do they go bad but they cost a bunch! I thought ok...$100?...nope $500!..Wheel hub...ok....$100....nope $300. Cant wait to see what's next...I am afraid to drive my Ford lately! Hate to see a U.S. company struggle...but "Quality is job 1"

Fun to drive. Looks great. 4x4 is capable.

Use better materials for interior. Do something about the squeeky brakes! And if you're going to sell "Ford tough" make the darn thing tough!

2005 Ranger
By Brian

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck used about a year ago. Very nice truck, the ride is a little stiff, but I don't mind that. The seats could be a little more comfortable, but other than that it rides nice. It's only been in the shop once, a friend of mine kicked the inertia switch and broke it, so that's nothing to blame on the truck. Plenty of torque, I've towed a 4000 lbs box trailer with relative ease. Fuel economy is not great, 19 MPG was the best I got, going 60 on mostly highways using cruise control, but it's a truck. Stereo sounds good. I like the overall look of the truck. If you get the sport mirrors, a set of blind-spot mirrors might help; they don't show a wide enough angle to see.

Pioneer stereo, white guages, plenty of power, grille, Ford bedliner.

Better fuel economy, Possibly a small V8 (Ford put one in the Explorer but not the Ranger), softer seats, stronger rear suspension

Update after 3 years. Even better.
By JDP

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an update after owing the Ranger for 3 years. I am even more impressed with this little truck than earlier. Mileage is still great for a truck (4cyl,5spd) I still have the original tires. No squeaks or rattles, and it is a truck. Moved from Austin to DFW with a full load and a trailer load behind. Probably 2000lbs total. I thought it would be a slow 4th gear go. Not a bit of it. Got out on I35, shifted up to 5th gear and away we went. I love this truck. I have met several owners that have owned more than one and now I know why.

This is the little truck that can do it all and get good mileage doing it.

I can't think of any.

Great Truck
By Rick

2005 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a truck & rides like one. I can live with that. Terrible gas mileage. Average 19 mpg under the best circumstances. Wish it was better. Considering trading it in for a VW or something that gets some mileage.

Body style