Used 2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Update after 3 years. Even better.
By JDP

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted to give an update after owing the Ranger for 3 years. I am even more impressed with this little truck than earlier. Mileage is still great for a truck (4cyl,5spd) I still have the original tires. No squeaks or rattles, and it is a truck. Moved from Austin to DFW with a full load and a trailer load behind. Probably 2000lbs total. I thought it would be a slow 4th gear go. Not a bit of it. Got out on I35, shifted up to 5th gear and away we went. I love this truck. I have met several owners that have owned more than one and now I know why.

This is the little truck that can do it all and get good mileage doing it.

I can't think of any.

Yum, I like to eat tires
By Mike

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my little 4 cyl. for about 10k. It has nothing but ac, spray in bedliner, and a cd player. I like the interior and the seats okay. My problem is it always eats the tires. I have the tires rotated, and the alignment check over and over and yet it still eats the inside of the front left. Ford says there is nothing wrong with it.. You get what you pay for. I want something new but my wife won't let me get anything worthwhile and we don't have much money so 10k is 10k. Stay away if you aren't poor like me.

Mileage

Build something comparable to a Toyota or at least bring back the Bronco with a rag top and I could do that

Edge
By Cary

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab EDGE Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Nice little truck. The only true compact truck on the market. I am a little disappointed with the acceleration of the 3.0 V6. I took it to the drag strip. 17.80 at 76 mph. The manual shifter is a little stiff, so I replaced it with a Hurst shifter. I am pleased with the gas mileage. it matched the EPA estimate.

White faced gauges, cool Sonic Blue paint.

Better transmission shifter.

Poor Brakes, poor quality!
By Ken

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this Ranger for almost two years. I have faced continuous problems with the braking system. Continued maintenance required that is charged to "clean, adjust, lubricate, inspect" the brakes. Pad on disc brakes continue to hang up. Too many issues with the entire braking system for me to be satisfied with this vehicle. If you live in a climate where there is snow and/or road salt, do not buy as you will have to pay for the brake service at least once a year ($80+). I have had mine done three times because normal driving on highways with snow, road salt, sand causes brakes to hang up. Would recommend looking at foreign made trucks such as Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma instead!

None.

Need better cup holder design. Brakes are absolutely lousy. Needs higher quality brakes, better standard warranty, better crash test ratings & a VAST improvement on fuel economy. Very dull interior that needs to be revamped with digital gauges and more features!

Inexpensive not Cheap
By JDP

2005 Ford Ranger Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my truck to serve as a "chore" vehicle so I could quit carrying things back from Home Depot in the car. I bought it from one of the Ford special sales for $10,950. 4 cylinder/5 speed stick A/C and radio. Very much a base XL. As it turned out I use it everyday and it is my primary work truck/transportation. I drive from Dallas to Austin every Monday and after working my contract for the week, I drive back Friday night. I have grown to like this truck very much. I get between 26 and 30 mpg week in and week out doing 70 to 80 mph hwy. It does all I ask and when I spill a coke or knock over the fries I just hose it out when I get home. And I still haul stuff for my wife from Home Depot weekends.

I put a shell on the back and that made a big difference. Economy. General handling, once you get used to the darty steering. Reliability.

Find a way to add a little more padding in the base model seats. Slow down the steering response. A red line on the tach would be nice. Some storage space in the center arm rest would be good too.