Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Satisfied Owner
By Citroen

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck for light towing and general pickup use. I have had it since June of '04 and have had no problems with it. It is a small truck so if you are 6 ft. or over you may want to go extended cab.

I like everything the Edge package adds, large improvement over the standard. Body style is nice and the seats are comfortable over long trips.

None really. It rides a bit rough at times but it is a truck and the Edge package does add a stiffer suspension. I would easily buy this truck again (though my biggest regrets is not getting an extended cab).

Quality and Value come together
By SuperMegStar

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for just a simple truck to haul stuff with-nothing fancy. I saw an ad for a Ranger, and thought I would check it out. The price was right, and I got more features than I could have imagined. It is a simple car with lots of guts. It sits nicely and is really fun to drive. It looks like 4WD. Gas mileage is surprisingly good!

I love the wheels and the way it sits. The stereo is superb quality and easy to use.

I wish the regular cab had just a couple more inches of leg room. I tend to have tall passengers.

Nice Truck
By Green

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

After owning this truck for just over two years, I am loyal to Ford. I really like the performance and handling of the truck. It is a sharp looking vehicle, as well. I would buy again, except I plan on upgrading to an F-150 or better.

Exterior design.

More comfortable seats should come standard.

The Lil' Ranger that can
By 68CudaGuy

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since this is the 5th Ranger I've owned I'd have to say I really like them. Had a 85, 88, 91, and 97 before this 04. Still have the 91 with 280,000 miles so far. I've got the 3.0l and 5 speed manual and even going back and forth to Birmingham AL last week for classes I got 26+ mpg at some crazy 75-80mph speeds. She's no speed demon but as far as trucks go but I feel confident enough to drive her on any interstate. I do plan on doing a few things to improve horsepower and mileage as I can afford them. My wish list includes a cat back exhaust system, Edge Performance piggyback chip, K&N Fuel injection setup, 180 degree thermostat, and I'm considering replacing the fan with an electric unit.

Clean good looks are a marked improvement over the previous body style. Looks more like a mini F150 instead of a pregnant guppy. Seats are stiff but comfortable. Nice radio with CD player, just wish I could have found one with an upgraded sound system. Try putting a real spare in these trucks Ford!

BIGGER MIRRORS! A little more horse power at a usable RPM would be nice. Pop out rear windows for cross ventilation. Bumpers on the XL and the XLT are flimsy and ugly. They ruin the truck, come up with something better Ford. Too much cheesy plastic. Try aluminum in interior - would look better.

Avoid
By trbgensmoke

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Avoid at all costs, transmission had to be serviced 5 times in 2 years, 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine has many problems. Owned for 2 years, 19,000 miles. Will NEVER buy another Ford again. I wouldn't take one if they paid me to.

The fact that it is so unreliable that hopefully it will blow up.

Hey Ford, try making something that is reliable, and worth the money! Or at least making an attempt to fix your quality control issues.