Used 2004 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Awesome Ranger
By Dave

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Best truck ever, always what I wanted and always a good experience

Manual

Aux Audio Input

Great Multi Tasking Pickup!
By TNMan

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Ranger used. It was the basic pick up, no xtd cab, no 4x4, manual. It did have an awesome sound system. I love my truck. It does everything I have asked it to, and despite my abuse, it took it with no prob. My only complaint was that the rear window popped out because of the seat pressing up against it. Other than that, as basic as it was, it drove great in ice and snow ( as long as you didn't speed, and carried sand in the back bed . And never had a mechanical or electrical problem. Ford Tough is no misnomer.

Stereo System, Handling (for a pickup), and interior

Rear Window, leaning back too far in seat will pop it out.

Excellent Value
By wyxlzorf

2004 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use my Ranger for a daily driver, doing run and bump North Dallas commuting during the week. The weekend finds it pulling a 30 foot long, but light trailer hauling a glider. Great utility vehicle, but could use some more giddyup. Reasonable comfort, driveability, and build quality for the price. This is my second Ranger. The first went 10+ years and 200,000 miles with very little problems and this one looks to be even better.

General overall driving position, visibility, and comfort.

The suicide doors in back seem like a good idea, but in reality they don't work out too well in a crowded parking lot. A flip forward seat works much better.

tough little truck
By tyrone buckets

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It will never die cold or hot it starts. comfortable seats for long drives. Needs more room in the back for storage and seats. I have over 180,000 miles only needed to maintain truck. Nothing has gone wrong. I will get up to 355 miles on one tank.No speeding must dive a minimium 5-10 over speed limit Great MPGs.

shift on fly 4x4, great mpgs, and reliable.

needs more room in back at least 3-5 inches.Stronger arm rest.

Under Rated
By Tiny

2004 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck doesn't receive the credit it deserves. Any online review you read bashes its dated design and powertrain. But they never take the time to think of why.The Ranger works! It has to be one of the most reliable trucks out there, and its design is tried and true. I've owned two, a 93' XLT 4X4 fully equiped standard cab 4.0, and my current 04' XL 4X2 standard cab 3.0 5spd. Both were well built, rugged, and fun to drive. I beat up my mostly stock 93' and only broke a radiator mount (which was rusted anyway). The only thing I wish is that the Ranger had more support from aftermarket companies. The truck has a lot of performance potential, it just needs more people to notice.

I love the feedback I get from the steering in my 04', and the 5spd manual is geared very well. I love the Rangers simplicity. It has a lot of performance potential, but there is so few aftermarket parts for it. However, with a little effort and mechanical know how, you can make anything work.

The Ranger is a great canvas for sport truck, muscle truck, and off roaders alike. Take a look at the right starting canvas and let your mind wander a bit. With a little imagination you can see where the Rangers potential lies. I can't suggest anything for this truck, it works, give it a chance.