Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Tall, Dark and Strong
By Organicj

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought this truck used to get me around while I finish customizing my 01' Chevy S-10. It is such a nice truck that I am now thinking of customizing it too(just a little). While the Ranger doesn't have the initial pickup that my dime(S-10) does it is strong and can pull way more than my dime ever thought about. I like the Ranger's styling and is very fun to drive. I wish it got a little better gas mileage but you can't have everything. There really is no comparison so I am glad I own both.

V6 engine, clean interior, aluminum driveshaft, bullet-proof chasis

Give me someplace to put a system in or just put in a bench and ditch the jump seats. I will do the rest!

All over again
By Jaydub02

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Ranger. The 4.0 is a huge improvement in power and still gets 20mpg on the highway. I love the 5 speed auto its smooth and quiet. I towed my wifes taurus and had a motorcycle in the bed 350 miles. With the o/d off I still got 13mpg at 65mph on the trip with no problems. 4.0 hauled the 4500+lb payload with aplomb. I am very pleased with my Ranger and would recommend it to anyone who needs a smaller truck.

Limited slip rear axle 238ft-lbs of torque at 3000rpm. Electronic 4WD. And striking good looks inside and out.

V-8 option. Keep building the Ranger

2003 Ranger ratings
By bfunk62

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Ford Ranger! I think the exterior as well as interior design are awesome. It is fun to drive and gets OK gas mileage. I just calculated mine today and I get 16.5 mpg. This is actually really good for a pickup truck. On the other hand, because it's such a small pickup truck, the ride is extremely rough and any pothole or uneven road will throw the truck around. The driver must keep their hands on the wheel at all times because unexpected bumps will send it off the road. I noticed this in two other Rangers that I drove, so I can say that they are rough riding trucks and not just from one experience. Overall I love my ranger and I think it is 10x better looking than Chevy S-10's!

I love the exterior design of my truck and the two tone seats give the interior a not-so-plain look. The gas mileage is unbeatable for a pickup truck.

I did not like the square grille that came stock on my truck, so I bought a stock honeycomb grille. Also the ride is very bumpy and the driver always has to watch the road to avoid big bumps in order to have a semi comfortable ride.

A tough little truck
By Engineer

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Ranger with the 3.0 V6 Auto trans now has 240,000 miles. I follow the 3k oil changes and keep it serviced. It is as tough as nails. It averages 19MPG. It lacks on tow ability but will tow a 4x8 box trailer without any issues. The heater cores are prone to leak, mine has been replaced twice. I have also had to replace the radiator. If you're tall, the cab is a bit cramped. But for the money...you can't go wrong. These are tough trucks. It has never leaked any oil nor has it ever knocked. FYI... these little motors run hot, if you buy one with miles on it, be sure to replace belts and plug wires as they heat crack quickly and this is often overlooked.

It's just a tough little truck and far more reliable than the S10 or Dakota as I have owned both. These trucks are priced fair and are a safe buy for a good work or sport vehicle. Best feature is you can't really tell a 1999 from a 2007 with the exception of the grill.

The body design is dated, can't hide the fact that this is the same body since 1995 however the drive line and suspension have been updated. more leg room for tall drivers. Easier access to the heater core. it's about $550 to replace at the dealer.

Good Little Truck
By MacDisciple

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good little truck that does what I ask of it. It is not comfortable, it is underpowered, and there are few amenities, but if you're looking for something inexpensive to do your light dirty work, it is a good choice. I wouldn't purchase it for daily driving or heavy towing.

There are no features...maybe the two cup holders by the gear shift.

None; just keep it dependable and inexpensive.