Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Still the best value at this price
By rangeramore

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 is my third Ranger. I started driving Rangers because I needed a truck, but I refused to drive a 10MPG nightmare. My Ranger is equiped with the 16-valve 4-clylinder engine and 5- speed auto trans, which has adequate power to motivate this 3000 pound truck. When I test drove various samll trucks, I found the Ranger roomier yet sportier than than any other truck priced below $15,000. This is the first Ranger I purchased instead of leased, and I have now owned it for 6 trouble-free years. I wanted a truck that I could get brand new for a payment of less than $300.00 per month. Frankly, I cannot think of many vehicles that are so inexpensive and yet so desirable to own.

1) Fun-to-drive: zippy engine, sharp handling, easy to maneuver. 2)Low operating costs: cheap on gas, repairs, manintence, and insurance. 3) Comfortable: intuitive ergonomics, more elbow room than most small trucks, good A/C, comfortable cloth coutour seats, easy-to clean vinyl floors.

Engine is apt to ping, and the 5-speed auto sometimes hunts for the right gear. I'll get a new Ranger when Ford offers a plug-in hybrid version. And a crew cab? The only small crewcab Ford offers is the Explorer SportTrac. It would be cheaper to buy 2 basic Rangers than to buy 1 of those.

Great truck
By SteelCandy

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have driven many trucks in all sizes and the 2003 Ranger Supercab XLT is one of the best small trucks I have been in. When I had it in for tires, oil change and inspection, they gave me a loaner truck, a Nissan Frontier. It was a few years newer and had 80,000 less miles on it, but I still thought my old Ranger was so much better that I drove back to the dealer and waited for mine. Only 2 small trucks I have driven have come close to my 2003 Ranger, the 1st was almost as good and was my 94 Ranger. The other was a 2002 S10. None of the import trucks I have been in have been anywhere near as good.

Everything

Only two things I would change about it, about 2 or 3 more inches or room for the back jump seats and the a digital gas gauge that tells you how many gallons of fuel are in the tank.

Great little truck
By rubydist

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT FX4 Off-Road 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Now approaching 120,000 miles, and all I've had to do is brakes, clutch, and 2 iac valves for repairs. It has very comfortable cab, seats and controls, with lots of creature comforts. It handles well and rides well - as much like a sporty car as a truck, yet it can haul a good-sized load. I'm getting between 19 and 20 mpg in mixed use driving. The 4-door cab is an excellent feature, making it much easier to get stuff in and out of the back of the cab. Overall, an excellent small pickup.

The driving experience is excellent - not too large, not too small, and handles very well.

It could use an automatic temperature control system, so the driver doesn't have to mess with the temp control. And, of course fuel economy could be better.

I love it
By jeff 1

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned an S10, a Dakota, and a Ranger. The Ranger is by far the best I have owned. Other than oil changes I have just bought 2 sets of wiper blades. This is a great fun truck. It looks great, is great on the highway. I will deffinetly get another one. I love driving on the highway to college with this. Drives real easy. Manual transmission shifts real easy and is geared well

I love the styling. Looks great, sits high. I'm 6'2" 155# with long legs. I fit. Lots of leg room for a thin guy

Wish it had a better 5th gear ratio but it is nice for accelerating. Also thanks for not having that stupid shift light, aka idiot light

My Little Beast!
By fatjoe2003

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in March of '03, and I ordered the Edge package! I own a landscaping company. I always get better mileage than my friends in their Chevrolet Colorados, and my Ranger can pull more. This truck averages 21mpg on the freeway at 75mph and loaded with the o/d off, it gets 17mpg at 65mph. The 3.0L is a fantastic engine, and has a lot more pep than I suspected. I love my truck, and I love the fact that without the extended cab how easy it is to park and turn around. If you are long legged the super cab is a must! I am short so it doesn't bother me. I would definitely get the Edge package again, as I love sitting up higher in the air, and the ground clearance. I love my truck!

The Edge package, V6 engine, tow package, and the interior room.

Needs bench seat instead of 60/40, needs door pocket holders for guns, pens, Kleenex etc. Other than that I have 80,000 miles and no problems yet, other than regular maintenance.