Used 2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ford Ranger
By Lyle

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very relaxing vehicle to drive. Payload is more than expected. Has plenty of power and good fuel mileage. A friend of mine drove it half way across the country and she has 3 herniated discs in her back and she did fine.If I was going to buy another pickup ,this is what I would purchase.

My favorite feature is the extended cab. If I bought this vehicle again, the only difference would be 4 doors.

Make a front wheel drive .

Gets you where you're going
By tvrug

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ranger I've owned. The first was a '98 4.0 5-speed. After 175,000 miles of being reliable I bought another. The only complaint so far is that the brakes would fade when stopping quickly, especially with a load. Replaced stock brakes with EBC slotted rotors and EBC Green Stuff 7000 series pads. Stops like a sports car now. Will go through a lot when off road thanks to the limited slip rear differential. Great that the front axle is turning all the time. This eliminates the worry of tearing up a hub when on the trail.

I really like the power of the 4.0. The loss of the vacuum pulse hubs on the front are a great improvement.

I would love to see some better fuel mileage, but it is a big engine and with the front axle turning all the time, there is some extra drag.

It's a great truck
By Ray

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new in '02. I now have 140,000 miles on it. It still looks and drives like new. I have only had to do routine maintenance. It was in the shop 1 time for a sensor that went out of range and that was covered by the warranty. All I have had to do is keep the oil changed, brakes, and tires. It's the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

The ride and feel of this vehicle hugging the road. Great look.

Find better tires that than the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. They dont stay round or balanced. Gas mileage not the best, 15 to 19mpg.

Not to Shabby.
By CPW

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first truck, reviews from friends and family helped decide to purchase a Ford. Plenty of power down low, sometime you have to really get on it to get up to speed on the highway. <11mpg in town and 18mpg highway>. It's practical for the region I live in. 4wd. The Goodyears aren't too bad but I haven't really heard anything good about them. The windows fog up really fast and that disturbs me. Overall I couldn't be happier with my first truck, hope to have it for many years.

In-dash 6 disc cd changer and speakers. Lumbar support. 3rd and 4th doors for supercab. Tonneau cover. The boxy style of the body. Motor built in Germany.

Relocate ashtray from under the dash. Stronger armrest.

Horrible vehicle
By Ted Parks

2002 Ford Ranger SuperCab XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned eight Ford vehicles, but this 2002 Ranger had more problems than I could list here, and they were repeatedly worked on by the dealer and seldom resolved. The Company Customer Service was non-existent, and I will never, NEVER buy another Ford vehicle

Fix transmission problems. Fix cruise control -- defective from factory. Fix front brakes and install rotors that don't wear completely out in two years. Correct problem with drivers seat that break bolts every few months. Fix windows on both doors that won't seal. Fix back window that rattles.