Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Drove my truck for 12 years, now it needs a clutch
By 4wdona2wd

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My truck had not been in a shop for mechanical repairs till this year, it is 12 years old, it has over 150,000 miles.
Took it to the shop, to get a clutch, and the mechanic said it didn't give him any trouble, however, it is starting to jam when I am shifting gears, so I will have to take it back.
It has been on dirt mountain roads where only 4wd jeeps were spotted, and it has seen a lot of beautiful country all along the Blue Ridge, Smokies, and other great mountain terrain.
This is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.. If not the best.

Manual shift, roll up windows (not electric), camper is set on the back so I can buy groceries, and the camper locks, so I can get a lot of stuff in the back of my pickup truck. I can take a lot of things with me. Love my truck.

rear view mirrors should be able to be folded in. because driving in a garage there is no give if you get to close to the door. :) Door should be locked when you get out from the outside as you can lock your keys in it.

One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.
By jammerx1

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Purchased new in 2002, for about $12k. Currently has 130k miles on it. Outside of tires, brakes, a clutch ( taught a teenage girl how to drive a stick ) plugs and a heater control valve, this has been a great vehicle. The best vehicle we have ever owned. I used it to commute, then my wife used it to commute, then we gave it to our teenage daughter. My daughter has hit or been hit more than once and it keeps trucking. Drove home this past weekend with coolant steaming all over. Dad somethings wrong with my truck. A new 17 dollar HCV and out she went. Admittedly she beats the crap out of it, but it has made thru highschool and 1/2 thru college. A really great truck.

Best vehicle EVER!!
By glm75

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this truck new and barely had any problems during the 13 years i owned it.
I performed regular maintinence as suggested and drove this truck to 200,000 miles until someone rearended me.
During those 200k, i replaced the MASS AIRFLOW SENSORE at 120k, the coil pack at 178k, fan clutch at 180k and manual transmission broke at 185k (i should have never tried to drive from NJ to New Orleans...too far for and older truck with so many miles) and the plastic intake manifold at 190k.
So besided breaks and tires, i drove it for 13 years and only had 4 repairs. not bad... All options worked as they should from new until it was totaled. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER!

Great on gas, ICE COLD air cond.

I hated the location of the cup holders, but that was corrected in new models.

Don't buy
By mattm93

2002 Ford Ranger XLT Appearance 4dr SuperCab (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

nothing but problems with this truck, I am a fan of Ford still but this truck has its problems and is in the shop a lot so not so reliable

4.0 v6 power. Its 4x4 will get you through basically anything!

reliability

Love it
By sixatbat

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are looking for a fast truck, the ranger is definitely not for you. I own an xlt 2wd 3.0 v6 super cab. Surprisingly, this truck has a lot of low end torque. I've pulled a 96 my buddy's 96 Buick Regal across 2 towns 3 times. I also pulled his Dodge Durango home as well. It can also haul 40 bags of mulch, no problem. After the timing belt was replaced, fuel milage was pretty good for a v6, around 22 MPG overall. I've had to replace a water pump, alternator, ball joints, battery, and a fuel filter. But it can do anything when called upon. Drove it to Alabama from NY and back and from NY to Virginia and back. Terrible in the snow, but for the money, its a good, reliable vehicle.

Simple to use radio and climate controls. Easy entry and exit.