Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

A Big Little Truck
By Joe.C

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just picked up my used XLT to replace my weak, extremely uncomfortable, gas guzzling '04 Nissan Frontier. The exterior styling is great. The ride quality is dead on and interior room is outstanding. I am 6'0" with long legs and I am so comfortable. This past weekend I was riding around with 3 other adults in there. The 3.0L is a little weak but it's not meant to be a speed demon. This vehicle had 36K on it when I picked it up and it's great. My Nissan with only 5K on it had squeaks and rattles. I always liked Ford Trucks and I am glad to own one. Great buy, best in its class by far. I should have bought this truck first. Live and learn I guess. I learned the Ranger is the best choice

Interior room. Ride quality is great. Sound system is awesome. Fun to drive. Feels like a full size truck.

None at this time. Ford already improved the little that was wrong.

best small pickup I've ever owned
By stoshu

2002 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought the truck new. No options except CD player and a/c. I had a few problems with the engine skipping/sputtering a bit, all under warranty, and they fixed everything! The tray under the radio rattles, but that's about my only complaint. Gets great gas mileage , I got the 4 banger, and the radio is great. Handles very well for a small pickup, I've put 60,000 miles on it and the original tires still look ok. The last new pick up i bought was a '92 Chevy S-10 Tahoe loaded with a 2.8 v-6. I drove the wheels off it for 8 years and the only thing that didn't break or rattle was the engine. I will never buy a GM product again. Ford is the way to go, I'll give this 1/2 ton to my son & buy another.

Great gas mileage! Engine runs like a Swiss watch, tranny shifts great (manual) and not many rattles on interior. The a/c will make you freeze and the heat will burn you up. These are good things. :)

Less rattles on interior of truck. One rattle is too many!

Love this truck
By love this truck

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr SuperCab (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have had 2 Rangers. Over 8 years have had 1 problem with the O2 sensors that cost about $200 dollars and have been places that 4 wheel drive had problems going. This is a good truck.

I love the heated seats; heats very fast then you almost have to cut them off.

Improve the O2 sensors.

Ranger XLT 2wd 5sp 4cyl
By Roger Vaughan

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

Very good, reliable, comfortable basic truck. Kind of like pick-up trucks used to be. Not a huge, oversize gas and road hog. Wife says most comfortable seat she has been in. Gas mileage is great, always high 20's to 30.

I love this truck.
By steepndeep

2002 Ford Ranger Edge Plus 4dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ranger is a great vehicle. It shows that Ford has really stepped up their products since the 80's. I could have paid 1000's more for a less powerful but otherwise equal Toyota. But why would I? Good handling, quiet ride, plenty of power for towing and handling medium loads like jet skis and medium trailers with considerable weight. The only thing I don't like is that something in the interior rattles when I play a song with much base, but I just turn up the music a little and then I don't even hear it.

Limited slip differenial, 4.0 liter power, 4 doors, 4x4 and very effective ABS.

Less espensive Fords can usually use a good boost in trim quality, and that applies here, although not nearly as bad as in the past. Eliminate interior rattling.