Used 2002 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

American vehicle that's fine by me
By john/sun

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After having an 84 Ranger and getting over 200,000 miles on it, I went back for more. Mileage could be better; getting 18-19 average. Not a SINGLE problem with this truck.

Dependability.

Squeeze better mileage out of larger motors.

my Ford Range
By jim

2002 Ford Ranger Tremor 2dr SuperCab (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like the ride. Fuel economy could be better. Do drive country roads with lots of hills and stop and go from work. But overall I love the yellow color and flames.

A/C, CD, cruise control.

Fuel mileage would be great, slow on pickup when taking off, have the 3.0 v6.

good truck
By Gary

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4dr SuperCab 4WD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Base model with manual transmission & no extras, which makes me very happy now with the price of gas. My fourth small pickup, and the best by far for comfort, fuel economy and handling. Have not missed the 4 wheel drive at all.

Comfortable seats, ABS brakes, fuel economy in high 20's, nice handling truck, base CD sound system is great.

Longer warranty.

Very Good Truck
By Leroy

2002 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for a year now. It has been very dependable and I have not had to have any major repairs done. My truck is a swb regular cab, 2WD, but has a V-6 with a 5-speed manual transmission. One of the best trucks I have ever owned. Good gas mileage. Very comfortable interior, but a little cramped. Fun to drive.

V-6 engine. Plenty of power for me.

Make the cab a little more roomier.

Watch Out For Later
By Matthew...

2002 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 4dr SuperCab 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Ranger. I bought it, I have loved it, I have taken care of it, and had fun with it. Now I have 65,000 miles on it and problems are getting bigger and more expensive. To start at 30,000 front windows not lining up and had tracks replaced by dealer (still having same problem), next at 40,000 miles, dash light goes out. $2.00 bulb + some absurd amount to install (still not fixed), next driver's side unlock button works when it wants (who knows), now O/D Off light flashes, told transmission needs rebuilt and it wants to skip gears, $1500.00 and this appears to be a known issue. I am now looking at a Nissan and Toyota.

Alcoa Rims & BFG Tires All Terrain AWESOME! Still on original set.

Use quality parts and fix things when they are a known issue i.e.: O/D light flashing -- transmission part. The suspension is too stiff and makes the truck rear-end jump when hitting pot holes. The seats are nice but comfort could be improved still. I do like the lumbar though.